Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Duty RDS micro red dot

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Aimpoint Duty RDS micro red dot

I was lucky enough to procure one of these through my business. I honestly did not know what I would think of it. I have used it for a couple days now and really like this red dot. I was worried about the button on the side being easy to manipulate by it rubbing up against gear. It is a stiffer button the most optics. It doesn’t have the spongy feel like my EOTech buttons. The glass on it is quite a bit clearer than my Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon MRO, or my Holosun. That is not where this optic shines though for me. I have astigmatisms in both eyes and red knots usually look like a cluster of grapes. The RDS is the clearest red dot I have used for this. I’m still on the fence how I like the adjustments using a torques bit. The only thing I held against the RDS was the battery compartment. When I first tried to put the battery in, the little bugger went flying. The tabs that hold the battery were entirely too tight to maintain a grip and would shoot the battery across the room. After a bit of finagling I got the battery cover on and it in place. After tightening the battery cover down the tabs loosened enough that the battery but no longer shoot out if I take the cover off. So far I have a bout 200 rounds through with the optic attached and it’s still holding zero.

F7DD1CEA-074D-48AA-8155-CA63737155D7.jpeg
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does it sit at a good height for your flip ups to work good?

The two things that trouble me is the idea of having to buy a different mount to be happy with it (which might not be so), and the chance that the quality drop will be like the PRO and CCOs that I've had/seen before.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It co-witnesses with standard height sights (magpul BUIS). I really do think it is a lot better than the PRO or Carbine optic. The glass is better for me in clarity but mainly because of the anti-reflective coating. That is what makes it clear with my astigmatisms. The mount is a little heavy. That being said it is solid and uses the same torx as everything else on the optic. It uses the same mounting profile as the T1,T2, and other micro dots. So mounts are out there but not the cheapest option. When it comes to price, if they can get it below the MSRP for customers it is a win win. I will take this any day over my MRO as long as they are close in price point.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    I really do think it is a lot better than the PRO or Carbine optic.
    Good to hear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A good pic of mount heights in this thread...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ncement/page12
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When I inquired about the mount height, Aimpoint just said it is a 39mm mount.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    When I inquired about the mount height, Aimpoint just said it is a 39mm mount.
    Which, judging from the picture, places it at a 1/3 lower co-witness position or 1.57".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Aimpoint Duty RDS micro red dot

I like 1/3, so I’d just run the standard mount and call it good.
    Unlike the pro, the stock mount actually looks sturdy, functional and repeatable.
    I like it.
    Last edited by dan1612; 01-26-22 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'll be buying one. Looks like a great optic, perfect for duty use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The glass on it is quite a bit clearer than my Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon MRO, or my Holosun. That is not where this optic shines though for me. I have astigmatisms in both eyes and red knots usually look like a cluster of grapes. The RDS is the clearest red dot I have used for this.

F7DD1CEA-074D-48AA-8155-CA63737155D7.jpeg

Now THAT is most interesting. If Aimpoint has come up with a way to reduce the Astig issues lots of older shooters encouter, this is a huge deal.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast