Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winterizing a rifle

Feedback Score
    I've got a quart of LAW right here. I got it from an Army surplus mail order a few years ago, about $5. Lubricating Oil, Weapons, Low Temperature. This was made by Castrol in Apr 1991. MIL-L-14107C-AM.2. I don't remember the surplus name, I thought they were in PA.

Feedback Score
    Do you guys use carb cleaner to get rid of the old lube?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would think that a thorough blasting with spray brake cleaner followed by a light lube with pure synthetic motor oil will work fine.

Both products available universally.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    GUN BUTTER

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also use slip2000 year round

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    I also use slip2000 year round

Ditto.

Feedback Score
    Oh, by the way don't use Slip 2000 in the bore. It is slippery stuff and WILL change bullet point of impact.

Until that day,
    Darkop[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that this stuff is so slippery that it will affect bullet spin? How much change in POI?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seekretsqrl View Post
    Anyboby have any suggestions on a lube for the winter? I have a bcm 16" carbine for duty use and an Aimpoint t-1. It gets cold as hell out here (2 degress w/out wind chill right now). I'm currently using Break Free clp as a lube, anything better out there for cold weather? The rifle is in the trunk of a squad. Also, are there any issues with the p-mags is extreme cold weather?

Jon
    Unless you live in norther Wisconsin, I would't worry about changing lubes. The M16 operators manual states states that fron 0 to -35to use CLP or LAW. Colder than - 35 to use LAW.
    During the 1st Gulf War, I spent an entire winter in your state at Ft. McCoy working the rifle ranges with the Guard and Reserve units. There was a few weeks that it got down to the teen minus and CLP worked just fine. The only thing that didn't work so well was the fingers. For central and southern Wisconsin, CLP should be GTG year round, can't be worst than here in the land of 10,000 taxes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by topraider View Post
    Unless you live in norther Wisconsin, I would't worry about changing lubes. The M16 operators manual states states that fron 0 to -35to use CLP or LAW. Colder than - 35 to use LAW.
    During the 1st Gulf War, I spent an entire winter in your state at Ft. McCoy working the rifle ranges with the Guard and Reserve units. There was a few weeks that it got down to the teen minus and CLP worked just fine. The only thing that didn't work so well was the fingers. For central and southern Wisconsin, CLP should be GTG year round, can't be worst than here in the land of 10,000 taxes.
    Copy that I'm 45 minutes south of Mccoy. I have CLP and will still use it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123