Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating Overall Length of SBR

Feedback Score

Updating Overall Length of SBR

I previously SBR'd a KP-9 on a eFiled Form1, I now need to update the overall length.
    I was about to enter the info into a NGT.com letter generator and have a question.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...tter-generator

In the section(s) for Manufacturer and Manufacturers Address (Name and Address of Manufacturer/Maker: ), should I enter my information or Kalashnikov USA's information?

Thanks.

Updated Overall Length [OAL] for Registered SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE

To Whom It May Concern:
    I would like to inform that Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, NFA Branch that a SHORT-
    BARRELED RIFLE that was registered to me, JOHN XXXXX on a ATF EFORM 1 has an actual overall length
    [OAL] of 27.5 Inches.

Name and Address of Manufacturer/Maker:
    INFORMATION in QUESTION

Model of Firearm: KP-9
    Serial number: K9PXXXXXXX
    Caliber: 9

Type of Firearm: SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE
    Previous Overall Length [OAL]: 26.75 Inches
    Current Overall Length [OAL]: 27.5 Inches

I am requesting that a copy of this letter and a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
    Explosives, NFA Branch stating that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, NFA Branch has
    acknowledged that the NFRTR was updated with the actual overall length as notated in this letter and will be
    returned to me at the following mailing address or email address:
    JOHN XXXXXX

Thank you,
    JOHN XXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    XX@XXXXXXXX.com
    Signature: ____________________________
    02/05/2022
    Last edited by ChileRelleno; 02-05-22 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    But why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally wouldn’t bother. The ATF being the top notch organization they are has a very broad and vague line about length. It’s not verbatim, but it’s essentially “any permanent modification”. Is changing the overall length really permanent? No. If you retain the original barrel that was on it when you submitted, who’s to say you couldn’t go back to it. Whose to say down the road you purchase another the same length? There is basically no way changing your overall length is something to be considered permanent. The reality is they’re never going to check and they’re never going to know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    But why?
    Because the OAL was an estimate and now needs to be formalized with the actual length.

Feedback Score
    You got caught between their requirement for submitting the overall length and the reality that you can't measure it perfectly without putting it together which would be a felony.

How far is the OAL off? I generally just ask people on the forums to take measurements. Sometimes you're just able to lay the parts out unassembled and measure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I personally wouldn’t bother.
    This! No one cares.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This! No one cares.
    Yep this here. Not to mention I wouldn't want to bring any more attention to the atf about myself than is absolutely nessasary.

Feedback Score
    As for not bringing any more ATF attention to myself... Too late and it's ongoing.
    Not my first or last NFA item, another in the works right now, I'm a C&R FFL holder and the majority of my firearms are ran through a 4473.

Thanks for the replies/input, it's already taken care of now.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I had never heard of that site before - https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/

Its an anal retentive paradise for NFA items. Check this out, they have a letter generator for if you want to change uppers on your NFA lower - https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...gistered-lower

I wish Iraqgunz was alive to see this:

Changing Your SBR Upper with a Different Caliber Than the Registered Lower Generator
    by National Gun Trusts July 10, 2018
    Changing your SBR upper with a different caliber than the registered lower is possible. Since you can't use "multi" caliber on the ATF Form 1 application anymore, many people ask us. Can I change the upper caliber on my registered [tax stamped] lower SBR? The answer is yes. There a few ways to do this. The ways we recommend to do this with our clients are below:

Add this information on your ATF Form 1 (5320.1) application: To do this you can use box 4h. Additional Description. Your gun trust information normally goes here, if you are registering the SBR with a NFA Gun Trust. But you can also add additional calibers and barrel length configurations here. The ATF recommends to use this space for that because they only want one caliber and one OAL in the boxes 4e and 4f. If you have further questions about how to fill out your ATF Form 1 (5320.1 -ATF 5320.1 Application to Make and Register a Firearm), you can check out our ATF Form 1 walk-through guide here.

Send a letter to the ATF with the new calibers and/or barrel lengths: If you already have an approved tax stamp from the ATF then you can simply send a letter to the ATF describing which uppers you are planning to use with the your SBR. When you send a letter to the ATF, send the letter in duplicate and request a letter back from the ATF confirming that received/approved the letter. What you need to include in the letter is the make, model and serial number of your lower, who it is registered to, the caliber and OAL (overall length) of the new uppers that you want to add to the SBR. Below is a Changing Your SBR Upper with a Different Caliber Than the Registered Lower Generator that you can use with the ATF to notify them of these additions.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I had never heard of that site before - https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/

Its an anal retentive paradise for NFA items. Check this out, they have a letter generator for if you want to change uppers on your NFA lower - https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...gistered-lower

I wish Iraqgunz was alive to see this: [/B]
    I agree. IG would have let us know what he thought. I was scheduled to take an armorers course from IG. He died right before class. He had a special way with words.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast