Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating Overall Length of SBR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The length is not really important. What is important is the receiver is in the NFA registry as an SBR, and remains as such until a change of status. So what length upper/barrel is really irrelevant.

Note: The myth that an AR15 SBR is not an SBR when you put a 16" upper on it is simply not true. The current configuration may not be physically, and the ATF calls that "temporary" simply due to the modularity of the AR15. You cannot unilaterally change the status in the registry of the receiver by putting a longer barreled upper on it. As far as the ATF is concerned, it is an SBR, and these clowns that think they can sell such an receiver w/o a tax stamp are fools. That would require a change of status in the NFA registry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post

Note: The myth that an AR15 SBR is not an SBR when you put a 16" upper on it is simply not true.
    It's true. If you put a 16 inch upper on an SBR'd lower, it's not an SBR. Even if you don't agree with it, or don't like it.

Feedback Score
    I understand that you can switch uppers/lengths even of different calibers as long as it was not a "permanent" change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    It's true. If you put a 16 inch upper on an SBR'd lower, it's not an SBR. Even if you don't agree with it, or don't like it.
    You are one of the guys I referenced. You think because you put a 16" upper on your SBR lower it is no longer an SBR. Now listen up as I already explained it once and I don't like repeating myself.

The ATF considers that a temporary condition/configuration, as the receiver is still in the registry as an SBR. YOU, yes YOU, cannot unilaterally change the status of the receiver in the registry by switching uppers. You can only do that by notifying ATF about the change. That is a fact my friend, even if you don't agree, or don't like it.

Feedback Score
    No matter how hard you wish, it still isn't true.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    No matter how hard you wish, it still isn't true.
    Truth!
    nawai

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I'd look at the links in this blog post:

http://blog.princelaw.com/2012/12/13...hotgun-sbrsbs/

Feedback Score
    not necessary at all. The lower receiver is the NFA item, not the barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12