Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Series 70 MKIV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New Series 70 MKIV

I found a like new Series 70 that I couldn’t resist. A classic blued 1911 has been missing from my collection for awhile. The gun was bone dry when I bought it, so I gave it a thorough clean and lube before shooting.

I put 100 rounds of 230 grain hardball thru it today and was very impressed. No malfunctions with Colt or Kimber mags I had, and it was plenty accurate—6 inch plate at 15 yards was easy. I did notice the left grip panel got a little lose, I tightened it up and I’ll monitor it to see if I need to do more than that.

My initial impression is this is a great old school 1911. I’ve previously owned a Springfield Milspec, and the Colt is significantly more refined. Next range trip I’ll try some JHPs, I don’t really have much opportunity to carry a full size 1911 here in FL but it’s nice to know I could.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My favorite "Full on Custom" 1911's (pre 70 Series .38 Super and .45 ACP 70 Series) are built on old Colts.
    Old School class for sure.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Who the hell does 1911 thread without a pic??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm not the original poster I had one of those "new" 70 series, got it a few years back. Didn't even shoot it in its original condition, took it straight to John Harrison and had him turn the gun into a more comfortable piece. He dehorned all the sharp edges, installed his rear sight and front sight, extended thumb safety (can't remember which one, either Ed Brown or Wilson), trimmed the hammer, reworked the factory grip safety so it wouldn't hurt my hand, round butt the main spring housing and installed his short/smooth trigger set at 4.5 lb. I sent it to Wilson for Armor Tuff finish. Great shooter. Sold it to a good friend who wanted so badly (I could always get it back).

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm not the original poster I had one of those "new" 70 series, got it a few years back. Didn't even shoot it in its original condition, took it straight to John Harrison and had him turn the gun into a more comfortable piece. He dehorned all the sharp edges, installed his rear sight and front sight, extended thumb safety (can't remember which one, either Ed Brown or Wilson), trimmed the hammer, reworked the factory grip safety so it wouldn't hurt my hand, round butt the main spring housing and installed his short/smooth trigger set at 4.5 lb. I sent it to Wilson for Armor Tuff finish. Great shooter. Sold it to a good friend who wanted so badly (I could always get it back).

That is a nice 1911. It would have been hard for me to change the wonderful Colt bluing, but for carry you probably made the right choice.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The dehorning took too much bluing off the gun and it wouldn't look all that great had we only cold blued portions of the gun. I wasn't attached to the blued finish anyway. So Armor Tuff was what to put on it. Another option would have been DLC coating but that was twice as much as AT.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Colt's newest 70-series pistols are supposed to be very, very good.

I don't know why they ship the new series with the narrow National Match (Gold Cup) hood barrels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Who the hell does 1911 thread without a pic??
    Ha, I thought everyone knew what a basic 1911 looked like. 26707594-182F-4759-95B2-967A307EC2BB.jpegD5EA58CB-1F9C-4881-870B-D23EDA037711.jpeg
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    Ha, I thought everyone knew what a basic 1911 looked like. 26707594-182F-4759-95B2-967A307EC2BB.jpegD5EA58CB-1F9C-4881-870B-D23EDA037711.jpeg
    Much Better Thank You.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New Series 70 MKIV

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The dehorning took too much bluing off the gun and it wouldn't look all that great had we only cold blued portions of the gun. I wasn't attached to the blued finish anyway. So Armor Tuff was what to put on it. Another option would have been DLC coating but that was twice as much as AT.
    That makes sense. I didn’t think about that aspect.

FYI: I sent a beat to shit AUS police trade in model 10 to S&W to have it re-blued and it came back superlative. I wonder if Colt can do similar……..

If I can scrounge up a picture I will post it.

ETA: Found it.

Last edited by HKGuns; 02-07-22 at 09:28.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast