Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Series 70 MKIV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

ETA: Found it.

That's Purdy 😎
    Last edited by MarshallDodge; 02-10-22 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got some more rounds in this gun today, and it's continued to be 100%. I had to tighten up the grip panels again--I cranked them down about as hard as I felt was prudent without jacking up the crews. Is loctite the answer if they keep shooting lose?

The other weird quirk is it ejects basically straight up--I don't really care as long as the empty cases get clear, but definitely a gun to wear a hat while shooting.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Be careful with Loktite, if you lock it in there too good you can unscrew the grip screw bushings in the frame and bork the threads (because the bushings are staked in). If you have a hard time removing a screw but haven't unscrewed the bushing yet, use a soldering iron on the screw head to heat up and soften the Loktite.

Also be careful with disassembly, I think you are supposed to hold the slide back a half inch or so to avoid breaking the fingers on the collet bushing.

The ejection can be tuned by filing the tip of the ejector. I suggest buying the Kunhansen manuals to learn all the tricks. I probably misspelled that.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I got some more rounds in this gun today, and it's continued to be 100%. I had to tighten up the grip panels again--I cranked them down about as hard as I felt was prudent without jacking up the crews. Is loctite the answer if they keep shooting lose?

The other weird quirk is it ejects basically straight up--I don't really care as long as the empty cases get clear, but definitely a gun to wear a hat while shooting.
    Tiny O rings are answer for repeatedly loosing grip screws.

You can dick with ejector angle and/or extractor for brass angle. The Kunekausen book(let) IS a great resource.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust devil View Post
    Be careful with Loktite, if you lock it in there too good you can unscrew the grip screw bushings in the frame and bork the threads (because the bushings are staked in). If you have a hard time removing a screw but haven't unscrewed the bushing yet, use a soldering iron on the screw head to heat up and soften the Loktite.

Also be careful with disassembly, I think you are supposed to hold the slide back a half inch or so to avoid breaking the fingers on the collet bushing.

The ejection can be tuned by filing the tip of the ejector. I suggest buying the Kunhansen manuals to learn all the tricks. I probably misspelled that.

I may be wrong, but looking at his picture, his slide has the taller front and rear sights that were factory installed on the "Reintroduced" Series 70. It wouldn't have the collet style bushing. OP, my Series 70 stainless model had the same problem with the grip screws loosening. Came time to replace the grips, two of the grip screw bushings backed out of the frame even though they were staked in. I went with Challis grip screw bushings and O-rings. If you go that route, I highly recommend the "Full Size Bushing Extractor" tool. Made removal of the factory bushings damn near fool proof.

https://challisgrips.americommerce.c...-4-pieces.aspx

https://challisgrips.americommerce.c...-8-pieces.aspx

https://challisgrips.americommerce.c...-8-pieces.aspx

https://challisgrips.americommerce.c...Extractor.aspx

Challis also supplies an assortment of grip screws styles if you want to make your Colt look pretty!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Challis products look good, I might go that route. This is one of the new repro Series 70s.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    The Colt Series 70 once referred to Colt .45 ACP semi-automatics made in the 1970s. But now Series 70 can also refer to more recent reproduction guns. The fundamentals are the same as the original: nice looking, blued, reliable, and while not overly feature-rich, having most anything many people would want right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    If it doesn't have the collet bushing, why call it a Series 70?

Hopefully it doesn't have the Series 80 stuff that screwed up the trigger (slightly).

By your description it sounds like a replica of a pre Series 70 1911, this makes no sense.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust devil View Post
    If it doesn't have the collet bushing, why call it a Series 70?

Hopefully it doesn't have the Series 80 stuff that screwed up the trigger (slightly).

By your description it sounds like a replica of a pre Series 70 1911, this makes no sense.
    It does not have the 80 series Schwarz hammer safety crap, nor the Collet bushing.
    It’s called “70 series” because that’s what everyone thinks they want.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is the best video I've seen describing the differences between the series 70 / 80 FCG.

70 vs 80 Series FCG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast