Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAR 109T

Feedback Score

SAR 109T

I picked up a SAR 109T today. It's a semi pistol version of a SMG made by Sarsilmaz Arms in Turkey. When they first came out retail was $1,800. Not surprisingly, they didn't sell well at that price. They decided to drop the price and can now be had in the $600 to $700 range. They take Colt pattern 9mm SMG magazines. In fact, this one came with three Metalform 32rd magazines. The thing that I find most interesting about it is how they shortened both receivers, the bolt and the charging handle. I will change it from a pistol to an SBR after I verify its reliability.

Here it is along with my Colt 9mm SBR for comparison.

https://www.savunmahaber.com/en/sars...assault-rifle/

https://www.sarsilmaz.com/en/product/sar-109t
    Last edited by Bret; 02-09-22 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Wonder why they did that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thats really interesting that they shortened the receivers. I’ve been wondering why no one does that. Edit: shortening the receivers should shave an inch (based on mag size), and blowback guns are already about a half inch shorter (use a 12” barrel to use the same rail as your 11.5 556 gun). A 14.5” p/w with one of these would feel shorter than ATF-style measurement would imply.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-08-22 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting indeed. Eager to see how reliable this thing is.

Feedback Score
    Me too. In theory it should be reliable because it's a semi version of a SMG, but nothing's a given.

I called SAR USA to inquire about ordering a buttstock. Their customer service transferred me to their gunsmith who apparently is in charge of ordering parts that they don't have. I told him that I wanted to SBR the pistol and would like to purchase the factory buttstock. I posited to him that people would be more willing to purchase if they knew they could purchase the proper factory buttstock. He seemed to agree and said that he'd put in a request to order buttstocks. He said that if they agreed, it would be a couple of months before they'd arrive and he'd put them on their website. I also encouraged him to order the short carry handle, handguard grip panels and the front forward pistol grip. Meanwhile, I'll probably just efile to SBR it after I verify that it's reliable. I might just put a brace on it, depending on what I can find.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The only brace worth a darn that fits round pistol tubes is the Tailhook.

Feedback Score
    Update: The pistol runs reliably with a variety of ammunition, so no issue there. I attempted to remove the pistol buffer tube and figured out that there was just no way I was going to be able to accomplish the task without damaging the receiver. So, I decided to take it to a local gun store. They accomplished the task, but said it was the most difficult buffer tube removal that they've ever had. Apparently it was staked twice and had Rocksett as well as perhaps thread locker keeping it in place. It took them five hours to get it done including drilling out the staking, cutting the castle nut and putting the receiver in boiling water to loosen the Rocksett. They were able to accomplish this without damaging the receiver cosmetically, so I'm certainly pleased.

Now I'll proceed with the SBR paperwork.

Feedback Score
    Another update: I tried to screw a new buffer tube in and it would bind after a few rotations. So, I had to go back to the gunsmith to have him chase the threads. That worked and now I'm able to thread in the buffer tube. Meanwhile, I e-filed a Form 1. Apparently I'm the first person to attempt to SBR one of these as it was not in the dropdown list. I sent pictures of the receiver in with the application to help the process along. I received an email back listing the status as pending research. After a couple of weeks I received another email with the status changed to pending approval.

Feedback Score
    I received the stamp yesterday, so I installed the buffer tube and buttstock today. Here it is:

Now I just need to decide on an optic for it.

Feedback Score
    I picked up a Primary Arms SLx 1x MicroPrism for the optic. It basically works like a small ACOG.

Today I ran 50rds of Geco 124gr FMJ through it unsuppressed and 50rds of Federal American Eagle 147gr TMJ though it suppressed. The magazine is a Metalform and the suppressor is a B&T tri-lug. It ran without issue, though it was definitely gassy when suppressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast