Thread: Winchester 1906

Feedback Score

Winchester 1906

I love these style 22 pumps 1890,1906,62. The 1906 is my favorite. Due to the shorter handier 20" barrel. When it comes down to a 22lr plinking rifle. They take the cake for me. Light, compact, and accurate. With their smooth crisp tight action. They are a blast to shoot.

Most models will shoot S,L,LR. They can be super quiet with the right loads. They are fairly quiet with CCI Standard Velocity for 22lr. With CCI quiets they are quiet enough for even for the closest of neighbors and still pack a decent punch.

Wish I could post pics.

If you got an old 22lr pump you love. I'd like to hear about it. I know their not bolts or levers but I'm sure this is the right spot for them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    1906 that was my dad's.

I'm told mine most likely was the gallery gun based on the barrel configuration.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You forgot to mention they are take down guns as well. We had one when I was a kid, must have been the 20" version.

I love how light and slim the older 22 rimfire rifles were. I have an Iver Johnson single shot, not quite in the same league as the 1906. It is also ridiculously enjoyable to shoot with the Quiets (and still pretty dang quiet with SV Long Rifles).

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-11-22 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A take down Winchester .22 pump is on my short list. Man those old school Winny take downs are awesome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    A take down Winchester .22 pump is on my short list. Man those old school Winny take downs are awesome.
    I recommend spending the premium to get one with a good bore and in good shape. If you do its woth passing down to your kids. As long as they are cared for they will last for many more generations. I have a Winchester 1906 made in 1913. It is in very good shape with very good rifling and a Winchester Expert made in 1919. It is in excellent condition with a crisp shiny perfect bore. It has lots of flaking on the receiver finish. Which is not un common to these.

The Remington Mod 12 can be had for less. They are really cool as well. I just prefer the John browning designed Winchesters so much more.

I would love to see Winchester do a true to original special run on them. I'm sure Miroku would build a fine reproduction. I'm sure they would sell well. Hell I'd buy one just for the collection.

Feedback Score
    I have grandad's 1931 made Winny 1906 and it is a fun shooter. Very well made and fairly accurate, although the dinky sights are not easy to pick up.

I also have Dad's 1957 Winny Model 63 semi-auto.

We love old Winchester and Remington 22s around here!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    These guns to me were just the .22 we had when I was a kid, I mean I knew it was good, but I didn't really know any other .22's. Later I realized just how iconic and great they are, and later yet, well, now, I'm experiencing a resurgent interest yet again, of all Winchester / JMB greatness. One of my faves now is the Winchester 07 .351. Not a JMB design but no less great. The quality is amazing. I took some 170 grain Hornady bullets made for the .350 Legend, made a die to size them down for the .351-- this ought to be a great one for it, have only fired a few so far. Shot it at 500 yards the other day and although these guns were never known for great accuracy, I made 7 out of 11 hits on 2' X 3' steel target, the first five shots being ranging shots.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My first 22 was a Winchester 1890 in .22 WRF. I always like the "old fashioned" exposed hammer on the 1890, 1906 and 62 better than the more "modern" hammerless Model 61. Gallery guns are fun.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!