First off, the answer to my inquiry does not include the TA33. I don't get along with those, and I have owned three. I have had it with them.

I am putting together a lightish utility/HD carbine. 16" Wilson Combat Ranger barrel, Faxon Streamline Carbon Fiber HG. I am not going "Project Featherweight"; I just want to get the weight down and have as much versatility as I can squeeze out of the accessories. I am not sure if I want to go the magnifier route. Right now I am testing an Aimpoint/Unity, 3XMag-1 magnifier setup on a Noveske 14.5" barrel, and there is no weight savings there. It weighs more than a TA11 with a decent aftermarket mount.

I am thinking I might put on a fixed power scope as the main optic, an offset RDS (T-2, MRO, or RMR) for closer range and passive NODs, and perhaps a Streamlight TLR-8 (light and vis laser) for identification at night, pointing, aiming with NODs, whatever. With all that aiming hardware I hardly feel like I need BUIS, but I'll probably put a set on anyway. Total weight for this package (not including BUIS) might be as low as 16 oz.

It is the fixed optic I get hung up on. My default is usually an ACOG. I have a bunch, mostly TA11Js, but also TA44s, TA45s, a couple of TA33s that I have no use for, and a TA50. But, I have no real experience with the famous TA31.

At first I thought I would put a TA50 on the build. It's 3X and has even crappier eye relief (1.4", at least on paper) than the TA31. The eye box is pretty tight, but usable. I have shot the VTAC Barrier on the clock against a bunch of guys running RDS and usually done pretty well, usually in the top three. It is not that I am all that good; the simple cross reticle (it's an older model TA50 with just a crosshair like the old LAPD model) with a 50 yard zero is pretty much point and click out to about 240 yards. When I am done, people always want to look at the sight, and then they see the eye relief and run for the hills.

I am trying to figure out if the TA31 is worth putting on this rifle. It's 4X instead of 3X, has that wide field of view, and might have slightly better eye relief and eye box. The weight penalty would be just shy of 4 oz. Does anyone out there have experience with the TA50 and TA31 to give a comparison as to which has better actual eye relief and eye box?

And, does anyone want to suggest a lightweight fixed power scope, 3X to 6X, and not a TA33, that might serve this purpose? I would like it to be as rugged as an ACOG, but that's just crazy.