Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something? Is ACOG my only choice here?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pikey:

Thanks for keeping me honest. I've been fooling around with so many different items that I became distracted away from this project. Now that the snow is going away I have better access to ranges where I can do drills, but that will still take some time.

Mr. Dremel and I got together and we modified a screw to fit on the handguard. The long (intermediate size) gas system put the gas block directly under where the front sight should sit, and I just hate not having BUIS, so now that is done.

I also discovered the InRange project "What Would Stoner Do", and found that there was considerable overlap between my project and theirs. It is not the same concept, however, and I am not going for the "featherweight" pencil barrel that they espouse. But, just to make me even more confused, I found an older upper I put together with a Faxon GUNNER (16") barrel and an ALG handguard. According to my notes, that whole setup, with compact ACOG and Vltor A5 system, weighed in at 6.99 lbs. In some ways it was the same concept that I am working on now, but I built it for the women in my classes who complained about how heavy the 7.5-ish lbs. carbines were. ("Here, this is the lightest one I got. You'll be happy. Just don't touch the barrel.") I am trying to figure out how to run a comparison with the new build, but I am going to put a TA33-Crosshair on the Faxon/ALG setup just to satisfy ... well, somebody.

As for crosshairs and TA31s, I agree wholeheartedly. I have a bunch of TA11J crosshairs on my shelf, only because they were replaced by LPVOs. I like the big reticle that leads your eye to the center. One of my biggest complaints about the chevron reticles is trying to find it in a hurry. I may buy a TA31 crosshair in the next month or so. My bills are going to be painful, and a bit more pain might not be noticed.

Finally, I got used to using lasers from using NODs, and now I put some kind of laser (vis/IR or just vis) on most carbines. It's nice to have the option, but I don't swear by them when the sun is up. Also, the Streamlight TLR-8 series is a cheap and easy way to add a vis laser and light with a minimal weight and space footprint. I do have a Tor-Mini on the shelf. I rapidly became frustrated with it because it lacks a rear-facing power on indicator. I was constantly thinking: "Now, did I turn it off, or just change the power setting?" So, being too lazy to pull out the PVS-14, or 15, or whatever, I'd just take the battery out. And that battery cap is a bit of a PIA because I couldn't get the threads to properly engage. Someday I'll find a place for it, or maybe even buy another. It's not a bad little item, but I wish it had that indicator.

Like I said, thanks for keeping me honest.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Finally, I got used to using lasers from using NODs, and now I put some kind of laser (vis/IR or just vis) on most carbines. It's nice to have the option, but I don't swear by them when the sun is up. Also, the Streamlight TLR-8 series is a cheap and easy way to add a vis laser and light with a minimal weight and space footprint.
    I used to use a switch that fired my LA5 when I activated my white light, and the other button just fired the laser. So when I’d get to the breach, I’d crank my LA5 to vis high so I’d have a second dot if my Eotech shit the bed, since I was activating my white light for any potential shot indoors, anyway.

So you’re not completely crazy, although I don’t sweat having that much instantaneous murphy dots anymore and use a narrow beam white light instead.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Pikey:

Thanks for keeping me honest. I've been fooling around with so many different items that I became distracted away from this project. Now that the snow is going away I have better access to ranges where I can do drills, but that will still take some time.

Mr. Dremel and I got together and we modified a screw to fit on the handguard. The long (intermediate size) gas system put the gas block directly under where the front sight should sit, and I just hate not having BUIS, so now that is done.

I also discovered the InRange project "What Would Stoner Do", and found that there was considerable overlap between my project and theirs. It is not the same concept, however, and I am not going for the "featherweight" pencil barrel that they espouse. But, just to make me even more confused, I found an older upper I put together with a Faxon GUNNER (16") barrel and an ALG handguard. According to my notes, that whole setup, with compact ACOG and Vltor A5 system, weighed in at 6.99 lbs. In some ways it was the same concept that I am working on now, but I built it for the women in my classes who complained about how heavy the 7.5-ish lbs. carbines were. ("Here, this is the lightest one I got. You'll be happy. Just don't touch the barrel.") I am trying to figure out how to run a comparison with the new build, but I am going to put a TA33-Crosshair on the Faxon/ALG setup just to satisfy ... well, somebody.

As for crosshairs and TA31s, I agree wholeheartedly. I have a bunch of TA11J crosshairs on my shelf, only because they were replaced by LPVOs. I like the big reticle that leads your eye to the center. One of my biggest complaints about the chevron reticles is trying to find it in a hurry. I may buy a TA31 crosshair in the next month or so. My bills are going to be painful, and a bit more pain might not be noticed.

Finally, I got used to using lasers from using NODs, and now I put some kind of laser (vis/IR or just vis) on most carbines. It's nice to have the option, but I don't swear by them when the sun is up. Also, the Streamlight TLR-8 series is a cheap and easy way to add a vis laser and light with a minimal weight and space footprint. I do have a Tor-Mini on the shelf. I rapidly became frustrated with it because it lacks a rear-facing power on indicator. I was constantly thinking: "Now, did I turn it off, or just change the power setting?" So, being too lazy to pull out the PVS-14, or 15, or whatever, I'd just take the battery out. And that battery cap is a bit of a PIA because I couldn't get the threads to properly engage. Someday I'll find a place for it, or maybe even buy another. It's not a bad little item, but I wish it had that indicator.

Like I said, thanks for keeping me honest.
    The Tor-Mini has an auto off. I think that it’s 5 minutes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    The Tor-Mini has an auto off. I think that it’s 5 minutes.
    Pikey:

You're absolutely right. There is a 5 minute turn off mode: 'If the TOR Mini IR laser is left on, it will shut off automatically after 5 minutes to conserve battery power.' [User Guide, p. 9] Presumably, this means 5 minutes after a pad has been touched. But, the manual also refers to an "auto on" feature depending upon the orientation of the sight (and if you have turned on the "auto on" feature). [User Guide, p. 11]

Similarly, but perhaps not identically, the "auto on" feature will "disable" if the TOR 'goes untouched' for 10 minutes. [User Guide, p. 12] Now, presumably this really means touching the pads. Is there a difference between 'left on' and 'goes untouched'?

I can play with this later and perhaps come up with an answer, but I thought I would ask: What does 'left on' mean in terms of how the TOR internal circuitry determines this? Is it touching the pad, changing sight orientation, both? How does the TOR system detect that it has been 'left on' for the purposes of the turn off mode?

Just thought I would ask, and, thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by Amicus; 03-12-22 at 09:02. Reason: Added stuff
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    I don’t know. That’s a good question. It’s not as simple as I had thought.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got my first ACOG, a TA 11, 3.5 with green chevron. Wow, I like this thing! My other optic is an Aimpoint Comp M4 w/SIG Juliet 4X magnifier. There is nothing wrong with the Aimpoint/SIG set up, I used it very successfully in the desert brutality match out past 400yrds. But the glass clarity makes one forget it has less magnification than the 4X, not much less, but still a little less. I haven't used it in a 2 gun match yet but I will ASAP !

Feedback Score
    The only problem that I have with a red dot/ magnifier setup is the magnifier that I have. The Vortex micro 3x, the eye box is not great and the low light performance is under whelming. Other magnifier’s might work better. With that said where I work now the security forces are using micro rds with a Vortex micro magnifier, so definitely a useful combination.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    The only problem that I have with a red dot/ magnifier setup is the magnifier that I have. The Vortex micro 3x, the eye box is not great and the low light performance is under whelming. Other magnifier’s might work better. With that said where I work now the security forces are using micro rds with a Vortex micro magnifier, so definitely a useful combination.
    I can't tell you right now what the eye relief of the SIG 4X is, I've never looked it up. But when I first got it I did have some trouble finding that sweet spot. Since I had little to compare it with I thought the clarity and low light performance was just the way it was and since I could turn up the dot I didn't think much about it. But the clarity and brightness of the Trijicon just sets the bar higher, it more than makes up for the .5X less magnification. I have read that the Eotech series of magnifiers are the best for brightness.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Note on progress:

I guess I am going to go with the 4x ACOG (TA31). The TA31 and TA01 series are so close that I just decided to go with the light collecting fiber. This came in over the weekend and I am trying to find time to put together a couple of "concept" carbines. At some point I will have to address why this is different from, and perhaps preferable to: (1) Boss-mounted red dots, and (2) the InRange/Brownells "What Would Stoner Do?" project. Watching those WWSD videos has taken up a lot of time, and, since I have great respect for the InRange guys, I want to get my facts and options in order before getting into this.

Right now I have to find a free photo hosting service. I haven't used one since Photobucket went all subscription on us. Pics and weights are important to this story, and I will need to go beyond the M4C limit, I guess.

Finally, I just want to say that I do not, and never have, work for any firearms-related manufacturer, distributor, whatever. All the parts are bought on my own dime, and I am putting this together to suggest improvements to firearms design, accessory choices, and personal firearms use.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've been happy with Imgur.com for photos.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast