Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something? Is ACOG my only choice here?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The LVPO acronym is annoying to me as overuse of "first responder". I just gayed it up to match its gayness.
    That is fantastic.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I've been happy with Imgur.com for photos.
    Thanks. I'll look into that.

Now, if it were only this easy finding a decent camera.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pikey:

The TA31 is more forgiving than I thought. It should work for this project.

Son of Commander Paisley came by this weekend and we fooled around a bit with the standard mounts. With a BUIS rear mount installed, it is still a NTCH-shooting setup, which he could live with but I found annoying. I am going to change that with a AD-B3-C-Ti mount.

Be aware that these so-called "reverse cantilever" mounts (which I don't think have been around very long) come in regular and tall sizes. The tall will accommodate under it a MBUS polymer rear sight, while the regular version will only fit a Magpul Pro rear sight. Just a warning. I am using both in this project, so, for anyone watching, there is a difference.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Pikey:

The TA31 is more forgiving than I thought. It should work for this project.

Son of Commander Paisley came by this weekend and we fooled around a bit with the standard mounts. With a BUIS rear mount installed, it is still a NTCH-shooting setup, which he could live with but I found annoying. I am going to change that with a AD-B3-C-Ti mount.

Be aware that these so-called "reverse cantilever" mounts (which I don't think have been around very long) come in regular and tall sizes. The tall will accommodate under it a MBUS polymer rear sight, while the regular version will only fit a Magpul Pro rear sight. Just a warning. I am using both in this project, so, for anyone watching, there is a difference.
    Good to hear that it will work. I’ve always used the mounts that came with the ACOGs. I have a led acog with the TA51 mount that I could probably shave a few once’s if I changed it. It’s on an A4 upper without irons and mounted back further that keeps my nose off the charging handle. I might have to check out a reverse cantilever mount.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pikey:

Unless you have a really long, thin face, get the regular mount. The high mount did not work for me with the TA31. Also, take the warning that the regular mount will only accept a Magpul Pro mount under it seriously. It was the only one in my inventory that I could get to fit. The AD high reverse cantilever will accept a Magpul MBUS (plastic) under it, so I expect it will accommodate most rear sights, possibly excepting the GG&G or the Brownells HK-style drum sight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pikey:

Unless you have a really long, thin face, get the regular mount. The high mount did not work for me with the TA31. Also, take the warning that the regular mount will only accept a Magpul Pro mount under it seriously. It was the only one in my inventory that I could get to fit. The AD high reverse cantilever will accept a Magpul MBUS (plastic) under it, so I expect it will accommodate most rear sights, possibly excepting the GG&G or the Brownells HK-style drum sight.

Feedback Score
    I am trying to figure out if the TA31 is worth putting on this rifle. It's 4X instead of 3X, has that wide field of view, and might have slightly better eye relief and eye box. The weight penalty would be just shy of 4 oz. Does anyone out there have experience with the TA50 and TA31 to give a comparison as to which has better actual eye relief and eye box?
    I have both. I don't care what the specifications say on Trijicon's website. The TA50 absolutely has more eye relief than the TA31. Mrgunsngear addresses this in his video on the TA50.
    https://youtu.be/pjGHTHZeVOw?t=645

That said, I've found that eye relief isn't a big deal when using these scopes if you're just consistent with how you hold your head. A good cheek riser goes a long way towards getting you in the right spot up/down, left/right and also helps with how far forward your head goes relative to your shoulder.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That said, I've found that eye relief isn't a big deal when using these scopes if you're just consistent with how you hold your head.
    That's what I'm saying. I've shot a handful of COGs and never thought a thing about eye relief. I just adjust the stock if I'm crowded or reaching.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry for the delay. I am trying to finalize my thoughts on the topics I wanted to bring up, and am struggling with a really crappy camera.

In the meantime, here is a pic of my living room, taken through a PVS14 type, of a cheap vis laser in action. A test.

Last edited by Amicus; 04-12-22 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll look into that.

Now, if it were only this easy finding a decent camera.
    Your modern cell phone does a damn good job of taking pics

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast