Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16" Barrel, mid length or Carbine gas?)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Dwell time is the time it takes the bullet to pass from the port to the end of the barrel, is it not? A quick google search seems to confirm that.
    I think your definition might be closer to that article than mine. However, I guess I've always taken dwell time to have more to do with how early the bolt starts to unlock. The longer it takes, the longer the dwell time. Dwell time can be increased by lowering gas port pressure and the time it takes for that gas to hit the BCG (by extending the gas system length). It can also be increased by increasing reciprocating mass (BCG and buffer weight) and to lesser degree by increasing spring pressure from the action spring.

Hopefully one of our resident experts will be along to set us straight.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    "DWELL TIME" by definition in all engineering texts on weapon design is: The time from primer ignition to the beginning of unlocking the bolt in an automatically operated weapon.

For some reason the AR community has chosen a different (and wrong) definition of the time from uncovering the gas port to bullet exit.
    Last edited by lysander; 02-21-22 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    "DWELL TIME" by definition in all engineering texts on weapon design is: The time from primer ignition to the beginning of unlocking the bolt in an automatically operated weapon.

For some reason the AR community has chosen a different (and wrong) definition of the time from uncovering the gas port to bullet exit.
    Thanks man. Your input in this forum is invaluable.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The AR community has been extra "special" here lately. Feels like the old AR15.com days.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    What is the deciding factor in which one to get?
    Looking to start a build and a bit confused. I suppose they are both timed right, but why would I want one over the other gas length?
    If I was starting from scratch, building my own 16" upper, I'd go with (and I am) the mid length system. That said, never had any issues at all with a 16" barrel and the carbine system (6920 and 6720). Ours all have Sprinco blue springs and H2 buffers.

Good luck, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score

Very interesting. I've read the other definition a hundred times on this website.

Feedback Score

That's what I thought.

NYH1

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think you get to a point of diminishing returns once you get past the top of the pressure curve which is right about where the carbine port is. The mid length port is a better idea than the carbine on a 16” barrel but only if it’s ported at about.071-.073. Bigger than that and I’d rather have a .0625” carbine. Seems like less barrel in front of the port makes them more temperature sensitive.

I’ve ran several Colt 16” carbines past 15K rounds and haven’t broken anything so I’m not real convinced on the parts life claim.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't forget the huge test NSWC-Crane did in 2018 comparing CAR vs MID length gas on 14.5" M4A1s.

The MID length has significantly higher reliability numbers.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-VS-MID-LENGTH
    https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Don't forget the huge test NSWC-Crane did in 2018 comparing CAR vs MID length gas on 14.5" M4A1s.

The MID length has significantly higher reliability numbers.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-VS-MID-LENGTH
    https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf
    Wow, the "Background" slides in the linked PDF are a hot mess. If I was briefing a study comparing carbine and mid-length gas systems, I would maybe mention gas tube length for one or both or explain what a mid-length gas system is. Instead, a rifle gas system length is provided and the audience left to guess at the other two.

The slides also refer to a "dwell distance" of 7 and 6.7 inches, which Lysander has identified as incorrect usage of the term.

On a personal level, I vote for mid-length over carbine for 16" barrels, but would buy a Colt 16" carbine barrel before a PSA 16" mid-length.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-27-22 at 06:44.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast