Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw pattern camo - why does Belgium still use this?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Jigsaw pattern camo - why does Belgium still use this?

Loud yellows and prominent red - the IFF part I get, but NL is ditching Dutch DPM in favor of a better pattern closer to a temperate flecktarn-style.

Why does Belgium continue to use jigsaw pattern in Europe?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why switch? How frequently has it been used in combat? Until the current events played out, what was the likelihood that it would need to be used in combat in Europe?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It doesn't look bad in this and reading through the comments it is alleged to work better with fading which is the opposite of most other patterns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brent makes it look pretty effective, definitely.

I stand corrected and have learned something new from you (once again).

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen - as always, they are gratefully appreciated.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Large shapes (macro) help to break up outline at greater distances.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Brent makes it look pretty effective, definitely.
    He is a great resource when how well it works comes up.

I really wonder if there are any camo patterns that really, truly, don't "work" short of wearing something like white based snow stuff out of season, and even then I have heard it isn't bad in a largely sandy environment.

A few springs back I came upon road construction where a black guy was directing traffic wearing high viz yellow green while behind him was a field in bright spring colors transitioning up to a dark tree line(few leaves yet) and he was largely invisible from less than 100 yards away even knowing someone should be there and actually the first thing that caught my eye was movement of a red stop sign he was holding.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-02-22 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With the proliferation of night vision and associated IR lighting, it's also instructive to have a pattern that doesn't "illuminate" you under IR. Green for example can be quite bright in night vision. German flectarn is actually quite good under IR comparatively speaking.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 05-04-22 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On the note on the use of Jigsaw, Belgium has adopted Multicam.

Press Release, Brussels, 01 April 2022: [auto-translated] The SSC consortium (Sioen, Seyntex, Crye Precision) was chosen to launch the ‘Belgian Defence Clothing System’ (BDCS) for Defence. For the next fifteen years, SSC will equip our soldiers with new operational clothing and accessories for a total budget of 410 million Euros.

Tomorrow’s operational clothing is multi-layered equipment. All the parts of the different layers will be complementary and integrated. Thus, optimal and appropriate protection can be guaranteed for our military men and women. This will also be the introduction of the new MultiCam camouflage pattern.
    https://www.joint-forces.com/kit-cam...lticam-uniform

I love that they just said "screw it" and went with an off-the-shelf option for their new uniform. G4 Crye isn't my favorite (especially the field shirt) but it's still very high quality.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    It doesn't look bad in this and reading through the comments it is alleged to work better with fading which is the opposite of most other patterns.

Neat video...the camo reminds me of the Italian version the Germans used in Italy during WW2

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Why does Belgium continue to use jigsaw pattern in Europe?
    (1) They have it
    (2) It costs money to change it
    (3) They aren't fighting anyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast