Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
On E-types, you could probably mix all of those up in a mag and hit at 400 with a 12.5” and ACOG. With B/C steel or F-Types you’ll likely be fine with whichever you zero it for. They’ll all be moving close to the 2950-3150fps the reticle is designed for.

I think you’ll be fine with a TA31RCO or a TA01NSN, in that order.

Edit: *the difference between a 14.5” and a suppressed 12.5” velocity is rather slim*

The key to using different ammo and barrel lengths than what a reticle is designed for is to true it up further out. If your zero is perfect at 100, it might be significantly off at 500 with the hold marks, if the velocity is too far off. But if you true it up at 400-500, it’ll be good enough from 0-500.

As an example, I’ve been shooting an 8x LPVO with a reticle designed for 20” barrels, but I’m using on a 14.5” thats old enough that the velocities are slightly under that of my 12.5”. I zeroed it at 300, then shot 500 and made a couple small adjustments. Both with 68gr Frontier 5.56. I then shot third in a match that went out to 500. And now I’ve discovered I can put 55gr steel case in it and hit to at least 400 with ease, without touching my zero.

Sidenote, I’d stop buying that Frontier ammo. I’ve gone through 3 cases of the 68gr 5.56, chronoing 5-10% of the case. Each case has had one round thats around 200fps faster than all of its friends in the same 12.5” or 14.5” barrels. That means that there is probably around 10 overpressure events per case in the 90+% that don’t get seen on a chrono.

I think the 193 clone Frontier is the one associated with kabooms on TOS.
The TA31RCO looks like a very good option. I looked it up and Trijicon advertises it as BDC for the M4 (14.5 inch barrel). This should match up pretty close to what I plan on building. Now I was planning on running a Silencerco 5.56 Saker K on the end of my 12.5 build. Even with it being a K can and not a full length 5.56 can, do you still think the velocity will be close enough to an unsuppressed 14.5? I know I’m splitting hairs here but this is good information you just gave me thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk