Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Which ACOG to get?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is that the thing that Will and Mark developed? I was asking Pappabear about this the other day, and I couldn't figure out what the benefit was. I remember Gunz really liked it, but I just got my TA01NSN, and don't have a ton of COG experience.
    It helps extend the ACOG further to the rear to help extend your length of pull when using a TA31. On a rifle with an A2 stock, it's a God send. With an adjustable stock, it gives you the ability to run a longer LOP and still have appropriate eye relief.

I used to just pull the BUIS off of my M4 and mount the ACOG as far back as I could. The KRAM will achieve this while allowing you to run a QD mount with BUIS, or extend the ACOG even further back for shooters who need the longer LOP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is that the thing that Will and Mark developed? I was asking Pappabear about this the other day, and I couldn't figure out what the benefit was. I remember Gunz really liked it, but I just got my TA01NSN, and don't have a ton of COG experience.
    Yeah, it does all of what GTF said plus raises it up to a "lower 1/3rd" height which makes catching the eye box much faster.
    Last edited by Steve-0-; 03-03-22 at 08:56.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Got it. Now that you mention the rifle stock... Yep! I could see that being a big help.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Yeah, it does all of what GTF said plus raises it up to a "lower 1/3rd" height which makes catching the eye box much faster.
    I actually forgot it did that, thanks for the reminder.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To answer the original question:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Over the span of 15 years, I have owned most of the 4x32 ACOG's, including the LED model, and what a mistake that was. Long story short, always ended up back where I started, which was the TA01 with the crosshair reticle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    Over the span of 15 years, I have owned most of the 4x32 ACOG's, including the LED model, and what a mistake that was. Long story short, always ended up back where I started, which was the TA01 with the crosshair reticle.
    That's the only one I ever wanted. The chevron isn't TOO bad. But it's almost like you need to get a shot long enough to clear the busy clutter before you get to the BDC marks that are less distracting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    As far as zeroing the COGs, you can always zero at you most desired distance, ie, 500Yards then go back and learn your come ups from there. Like maybe you will be dead on at 400 or 500 but and inch off at 100 and you just know that DOPE. For some reason we went to re-zero my COGs last week and one 4X was 6 inches high. We were like how the fck is my COG hitting a solid 6 inches high. Maybe an inch or two but WTF, 6 inches. Always good to check you r zero.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    As you know, ACOG and all others are spec'd to a single round and whether people want to admit it or not, a specific barrel length. Just they way it is and can only be. With that said, extended distances aside and a willingness to accept a less than designed for result, you should be able to satisfy your desire for an optic with BDC; within reason. You should be able to get a disabling hit at under 400m / multiple quick hits <300m once you establish your primary zero.
    I’ve used a 4X ACOG on a 7.62x39 AR with good results out to 400 yards with some success at 500 yards, prone off of a bipod. At 300 yards an 8” gong was easy just use the 400 yard line and hold a little high. The problem with bcd is that they will probably not be exact for anything. But if you shoot you can figure out the holds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I’ve used a 4X ACOG on a 7.62x39 AR with good results out to 400 yards with some success at 500 yards, prone off of a bipod. At 300 yards an 8” gong was easy just use the 400 yard line and hold a little high. The problem with bcd is that they will probably not be exact for anything. But if you shoot you can figure out the holds.
    Yep. I don't mind the Reticle not tracking exactly. It's square range stuff anyway. If you get to unknown distances (UKD), precise tracking isn't critical if you're range estimating in the first place.

(now if you're laser ranging and running a COG, you're a wildman!)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast