Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Budget IIIA Helmet?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Go ACH over PASGT. The latter is shit comparatively, it’s technology goes back like 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    A friend gave me an as new pasgt... The Oregon aero upgrade gave an old bucket new life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    At the time, the khaki chinstrap set was half the cost of the black or green set.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That looks good. I'm going see if that would be doable for mine.

Yes, this is about what I'm going for... FWIW, the green straps are now cheapest ($53, shipped, via eBay, but that's ONLY the straps).

Stupid question: Does the Oregon Aero chin strap kit come with the hardware (screws, nuts)? The hardware that came with my helmet is rusty and shitty... New hardware is $9 on eBay.

I stripped the helmet today, masked the inside, and sprayed it with three coats of primer — so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Go ACH over PASGT. The latter is shit comparatively, it’s technology goes back like 40 years.
    40-year-old tech? Like my Glocks?

(Nevermind the AR, which goes back like 60+ years...)

Good tech is like fine wine...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, not like old tech that is still cutting edge and works great, but like old tech that is close to obsolete.

An old steel pot would protect your noggin' too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No, not like old tech that is still cutting edge and works great, but like old tech that is close to obsolete.

An old steel pot would protect your noggin' too.
    I hear you... I'd rather have a lighter/better helmet, but I'm a stingy bastard.

And a steel helmet? Those aren't IIIA...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I get that, I'm cheap too, cut corners everywhere I can.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Basic Budget IIIA Helmet?

Used ACHs can be had for $300 and under. Pretty sure I got mine for $250 back in 2010.

Or just don’t listen to someone that’s spent hours in a PASGT, ACH, and Ops Core Fast SF.
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-18-22 at 20:23.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Or just don’t listen to anyone that’s spent hours in a PASGT, ACH, and Ops Core Fast SF.
    Is it the actual Kevlar? The suspension? I keep reading that the PASGT isn't good, but how?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yes, this is about what I'm going for... FWIW, the green straps are now cheapest ($53, shipped, via eBay, but that's ONLY the straps).

Stupid question: Does the Oregon Aero chin strap kit come with the hardware (screws, nuts)? The hardware that came with my helmet is rusty and shitty... New hardware is $9 on eBay.

I stripped the helmet today, masked the inside, and sprayed it with three coats of primer — so far, so good.

40-year-old tech? Like my Glocks?

(Nevermind the AR, which goes back like 60+ years...)

Good tech is like fine wine...
    Pretty sure Glocks and ARs have been updated since they were introduced, to include the last 10-20 years.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Basic Budget IIIA Helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is it the actual Kevlar? The suspension? I keep reading that the PASGT isn't good, but how?
    The entire suspension system sucks comparatively. The chinstrap does too.

Also if you ever decide it’s worth putting more money into it for upgrades, the ACH will have far more options.

I’m not sure about the actual material, I assume the ACH has better protection/weight ratio but don’t know on that one. I do know the profile is better on the ACH, less dome-y.

If we were talking $500 plus, I could see it maybe. But I think I’ve seen them go for as low as $150.

ETA: I spent two years of ROTC in a PASGT, one 2.5 day FTX per semester and one two hour lab every week during the semester. At least half of that field time would’ve been in that helmet. I bought my ACH out of pocket before our month long summer camp, wore one all through OSUT, airborne school, and like five years on active duty that included lots of field time and four JRTC rotations. Once I got to Group, I started experimenting with better helmets like the TBH-IIIA, Air Frame, and now Fast SF. I did an NTC rotation with the FAST though only about half the time was in that because I wore a boonie a lot.

Last edited by Wake27; 03-18-22 at 20:36.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Used ACHs can be had for $300 and under. Pretty sure I got mine for $250 back in 2010.

Or just don’t listen to someone that’s spent hours in a PASGT, ACH, and Ops Core Fast SF.
    Used ACH's were $169 minus suspension at one local surplus store near a large army base this week. I'm thinking someone would want a new suspension anyway.

PAGSTs were $79.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast