Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Basic Budget IIIA Helmet?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The entire suspension system sucks comparatively. The chinstrap does too.

Also if you ever decide it’s worth putting more money into it for upgrades, the ACH will have far more options.

I’m not sure about the actual material, I assume the ACH has better protection/weight ratio but don’t know on that one. I do know the profile is better on the ACH, less dome-y.
    Gotcha.. That makes sense, but also goes back to Bimmer probably being fine with a PASGT with the Oregon Aero, or whatever, upgrade for relatively low level use... I.E. not going to be worn for part of his job/duty.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I spent over 15 years in a PAGST, including Desert Shield/Storm and a trip to Bosnia (plus who knows how much training time).

PAGST suspension sucks for comfort, stability, and impact protection - which I guess you could fix by spending money. Digging fighting positions was so fun, every time you bend over the helmet slides forward unless you wear it so tight your scalp goes to sleep. What you cannot fix is the PAGST shape - the rear extends over your neck too far and pushes the helmet forward when you go prone. God help you if you are wearing a pack or plates.

ACH is a huge improvement in every way.

Andy

P.S. I have PAGST PTSD. Need to buy one surplus and blast it a couple dozen times at the range...
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-21-22 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I spent over 15 years in a PAGST, including Desert Shield/Storm and a trip to Bosnia (plus who knows how much training time).

PAGST suspension sucks for comfort, stability, and impact protection - which I guess you could fix by spending money. Digging fighting positions was so fun, every time you bend over the helmet slides forward unless you wear it so tight your scalp goes to sleep. What you cannot fix is the PAGST shape - the rear extends over your neck too far and pushes the helmet forward when you go prone. God help you if you are wearing a pack or plates.

ACH is a huge improvement in every way.
    Now those are some really good, practical points. The additional protection at the rear is a little appealing to me for emergency/civilian use, but I can see it sucking for infantry/combat.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Now those are some really good, practical points. The additional protection at the rear is a little appealing to me for emergency/civilian use, but I can see it sucking for infantry/combat.
    The ACH is about 1/2 a pound lighter and has some comfort/design improvements, but at the end of the day both have similar IIIA protection.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Weight savings has value for sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Used ACH's were $169 minus suspension at one local surplus store near a large army base this week. I'm thinking someone would want a new suspension anyway.

PASGTs were $79.
    For just an extra $90, I probably would've gone for an ACH...

From what I could see on the errornet, there isn't an ACH to be had for less than $225. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong, and show me where.)

My PASGT was $76, delivered, and kind of an unintentional purchase, because it was a low-ball eBay bid that came through.

That makes sense, but also goes back to Bimmer probably being fine with a PASGT with the Oregon Aero, or whatever, upgrade for relatively low level use... I.E. not going to be worn for part of his job/duty.
    I agree with both of these points...

1. I'll be wearing it rarely/never. This is really for TEOTWAWKI.

2. More coverage is better, especially to the sides and rear.

If I'm wearing it, I'm probably moving or at least standing.

I'm almost 50 years old and my helmet is the worst of my worries if I need to go prone...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah, my PASGT was $25. It was worth buying and upgrading.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Yeah, my PASGT was $25. It was worth buying and upgrading.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I agree a $25 PASGT is completely worth it because replacing the suspension is the key. Flea markets and yard sales are a better source than a surplus store, cost wise.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-25-22 at 06:32.

Feedback Score
    Update...

I added SkyDex's upgrade kit, which was $38 (a fraction of Oregon Aero's kit). After several attempts, I positioned the pads so it's comfy and doesn't jiggle.

I sprayed it with flat grey Krylon primer, first, which dries blotchy and much flatter than Krylon's own "ultra-matte" paints. Done.

So with the helmet itself ($76), I have a working IIIA helmet for <$115.

FWIW, I like the PASGT form. I don't have any problem craning my head back, as if I were shooting prone — the flexibility in my neck runs out before the helmet touches the scruff of my neck, and I can still see under the brim.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234