importance of cam pin fitment

ddm4v7slw 14.5 middie
    rifle length RE
    tbac ultra9
    slr agb
    yes, it's a sbr lower, a dd mk18 factory lower
    it's 32 right now and i wanted to tune the gas block to cooler weather
    223 american eagle 55gr

i bought a chrome bcg and while i was shooting i noticed that the ejection was a little weak. i put the OEM dd back in and noticed the ejection was about 2 feet further, but nearly the same angle. i started to poke around and noticed the cam on the chrome bolt has a lot of slop compared to the dd bolt. both bolts seem to fit nice and tight in each carrier. when i swapped bolts and carries, the brass landed in the same spots as when in their original configuration.

they both eject at 430ish, the dd just throws them further.

could the loose cam pin fitment cause this? is loose cam pin to bolt fitment detrimental?

edit to ad:
    does the cam pin being loose allow the bolt to unlock earlier allowing weaker gas drive?
    Last edited by corey4; 03-03-22 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    i could be wrong but i don't think the cam pin would allow for a weaker gas drive. that would have to do with the gas rings and how the bolt tail rung, gas ring rung fit in with the bolt, as well as fitment of the gas key to the gas tube. I feel like sloppy cam pin fitment could give you premature ware and possibly "possibly" accuracy issues.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What kind of BCG is the chrome one? I've never thought about cam pin fitment. There shouldn't be a noticeable variance in fit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    expo arms from primary arms. funnily, the chrome bcg looks like a DD. im thinking its a dd reject. ive been waiting for the microbest chrome bcg from pkfirearms to come back in stock for weeks and saw these expo chromies on primary arms so i figured id give them a whirl. the only reason i want a chrome bcg is because im shooting suppresed 100% of the time.

ill have pics coming later this weekend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Off topic... but for dedicated suppressed, Phosphate hold lube and suspends fouling better. NP3 is very good too... cleans up like a dream.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is an interesting topic. OP, is the cam pin equally loose in each bolt, or just in the Expo one? If equally loose, try swapping just the cam pin into the DD BCG and see if changes the ejection compared to the DD cam pin.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    The clearance of the cam pin isn't going to make any difference. Look for things that will make substantial changes in bolt velocity.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The clearance of the cam pin isn't going to make any difference. Look for things that will make substantial changes in bolt velocity.
    Or the spring in the ejector.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Or the spring in the ejector.
    this is exactly what it was lol. after all the ****ing around i did, it wasn't til the end i decided to check it with an empty case. oh well.

ill do a write up in a bit on my observations, thoughts, and findings.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    this is exactly what it was lol. after all the ****ing around i did, it wasn't til the end i decided to check it with an empty case. oh well.

ill do a write up in a bit on my observations, thoughts, and findings.
    Glad you figured it out. Just FYI, a loose cam pin is out of spec, so even though the ejection issue had nothing to do with the cam pin, it will increase bolt wear significantly if loose. According to a SOTAR video.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast