Thread: Back country spinning rod

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Back country spinning rod

Going on a backcountry fishing trip. I have the fly rod. I need the spinning rod. Suggestions on an appropriate 5 piece rod for great lakes species?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Going on a backcountry fishing trip. I have the fly rod. I need the spinning rod. Suggestions on an appropriate 5 piece rod for great lakes species?
    Check Cabelas. I was in their Lexington store last week looking for micro sized stuff and they had several 6'+ take down pack rods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Went to a local shop and picked up 2 fenwick eagle 3 piece rods for $60 each. 20 pound Braided line and the medium weight rods should be pike capable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went to a local shop and picked up 2 fenwick eagle 3 piece rods for $60 each. 20 pound Braided line and the medium weight rods should be pike capable.
    Take lots of pics, scenery and stuff you catch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh yes! Memories and photographs will occur. Not till July though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just got back from the backcountry trip where we fished across isle royale NP. Best NP I have ever visited!! Fishing was OK. Hooked a few nice Pike. The Fenwick Rods did well! After 7 days and 43 miles with my family (18 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old, and my 44 year old wife) my 48 year old frame learned the following:

1. Training pays off. I rucked a 75# bag for a year and I had no issue. My ultra fit cross country 18 year old got her ass humbled by reality.

2. My 10 year old son and 44 year old wife are tough and didn't complain once. Trooped along!!

3. The 7 year old had his moments but pulled through.

4. The trip was multifaceted and we needed the challenge to test our children. Last year was Zion and Bryce. This year was isle royale but ALL backcountry.

Equipment concerns:
    1. The katadyn be free sucks. It silted up and I could not flush it. It got very slow by the end of the trip. About 1L every 45 minutes slow. This was filtering inland lake water about 20L per day. I just bought a platypus to replace it.

2. Darn tough wool socks are awesome!!

3. The efficiency of the white gas MSR stoves is incredible and actually preferred by the NP. Those alcohol one time use bottles are a PIA for them to get rid of.

4. The new freeze dried foods are delicious and filling compared to the MRE of my USFS fire days.

5. The portable solar charger bought off Amazon sucked and is going back.

6. I am very happy with Osprey. Love the fit and comfort of a heavy pack with the detachable light weight back pack for gathering water. My daughter's Thule was not a good pack with poor bottle pouch design.

7. My Asolo boots eventually got my heels only after I made the mistake of cotton socks on last day. My error...
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 07-17-22 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just got back from the backcountry trip where we fished across isle royale NP. Best NP I have ever visited!! Fishing was OK. Hooked a few nice Pike. The Fenwick Rods did well! After 7 days and 43 miles with my family (18 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old, and my 44 year old wife) my 48 year old frame learned the following:

1. Training pays off. I rucked a 75# bag for a year and I had no issue. My ultra fit cross country 18 year old got her ass humbled by reality.

2. My 10 year old son and 44 year old wife are tough and didn't complain once. Trooped along!!

3. The 7 year old had his moments but pulled through.

4. The trip was multifaceted and we needed the challenge to test our children. Last year was Zion and Bryce. This year was isle royale but ALL backcountry.

Equipment concerns:
    1. The katadyn be free sucks. It silted up and I could not flush it. It got very slow by the end of the trip. About 1L every 45 minutes slow. This was filtering inland lake water about 20L per day. I just bought a platypus to replace it.

2. Darn tough wool socks are awesome!!

3. The efficiency of the white gas MSR stoves is incredible and actually preferred by the NP. Those alcohol one time use bottles are a PIA for them to get rid of.

4. The new freeze dried foods are delicious and filling compared to the MRE of my USFS fire days.

5. The portable solar charger bought off Amazon sucked and is going back.

6. I am very happy with Osprey. Love the fit and comfort of a heavy pack with the detachable light weight back pack for gathering water. My daughter's Thule was not a good pack with poor bottle pouch design.

7. My Asolo boots eventually got my heels only after I made the mistake of cotton socks on last day. My error...
    Have you tried Sawyer filters? I haven't used them heavily, but so far so good. I was never really thrilled with pre 2010 MSR and Katadyn output or getting clogged up.

I couldn't reach a solar charger decision prior to this year's BSA camp due to reading reviews about being iffy unless in full sunlight(not easy to achieve in woods) after watching one of the other dads having that issue the year before. This go around, one of the kids brought along an Anker battery/capacitor with integral solar panel(about half the size of a common brick) and the only way it could produce enough juice to keep his phone running(for limited use) was by all of us moving it to where ever sunlight was poking through the trees.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought a Platypus 4L gravity filter last week. I noticed atleast three different hikers using them. It is back washable. The katadyn be free is not. The katadyn filter might have been OK for a single person. 5 water hogs? It could not keep up.