Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinion Needed

Feedback Score
    My intent is to cause the majority of criminals to shy away from semi/full autos without effecting lawful owners.
    - Revoke the 1934 and 1986 gun acts. Repeal all laws banning the carry of firearms concealed or open by citizens eligible to posess firearms. Disband the BATFE, and reincorporate their legal authority into the Dept of Treasury to handle tax issues on alcohol and tobbacco. Freeze hiring in the Dept of Treasury. Allow Sears to sell firearms out of their catalogues just like they did in my youth. Put all that in a federal law with a premption clause to abolish all the state laws restricting carry, NFA, requiring permits, etc.

My reasoning is simple - Gun laws have increased and violent crime has increased. There are no reputable sources that indicate that any gun laws stop any violent crime. There is reputable information indicating that Shall Issue states have lowwer crime rates than states with no carry or carry only by the rich (CA & NY) . . . armed citizens seem to have a deterent effect on crime. It appears that the militia is the most effective tool against violent crime. As we all know, A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Obviously we should end the infringements and decrease violent crime.

Feedback Score
    The problem with the death penalty for any crime with a gun is most people break the law at some point, even if unintentionally. We already have laws that increase penalties for many crimes if the bad guy is armed.

Violent crime is down significantly from 20 years ago, I don't think there is a reason to pass new laws.

Passing new laws would probably hurt gun rights pretty badly because we've been saying for years we don't need new laws, enforce the old ones. If for no reason we suddenly decide we do need new laws it would be very difficult to limit their scope because our credibility would be completely gone.

I would be for increasing the legality of using force to defend property. I believe it should be a moral and ethical issue, not a legal issue.
    Last edited by shadowalker; 12-22-08 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    OK. Stop right there. The last I heard/was told/read/viewed, gun ownership is up, applications for concealed carry permits is way up and "crime" was down. Guns in the hands of the law abiding citizens (LAC) is given as a reason for a DECREASE in CRIME.

The SAFE concept appears limited. I say: ANY gun used for a crime should have an additional 10 years tacked on to the SAFE suggestions. If you waste the gun bearing criminal in the action to commit, oh well. In a court, the death penalty, without the due process -- should the criminal be able to escape, is outside of of that whole constitutional thing is it not? ... this cold medicine is really screwing up my head ...

Like my dad told us: If they are outside trying to get in - wait. If they make it through the window or door -- put them down. And, don't worry about the mess on the carpet, your mom will understand.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Feedback Score
    OK. Stop right there. The last I heard/was told/read/viewed, gun ownership is up, applications for concealed carry permits is way up and "crime" was down. Guns in the hands of the law abiding citizens (LAC) is given as a reason for a DECREASE in CRIME.
    Yup, that is pretty much what I said.

Watch this map

And take a look at crime stats. The states that go blue show drops in crime, red and yellow states, show increase. Obviously Shall Issue works. If the basic premise of Shall Issue is that any citizen that can legally possess a fire arm shall be issued a permit if they apply . . . why restrict? Why not allow any eligible citizen to carry & save tax dollars cutting the administrative costs? Open or concealed, shouldn't make any difference. 1934 and 1986 gun acts didn't accomplish their alleged goals, why should citizens be restricted in these areas?

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanRider View Post
    A crime is a crime it does not matter how it is committed. Laws that legislate how a crime is punished, whether it be hate, guns, or other only leads to bigger buracreasy and no decrease in actual crime. Punishment is simple, Just fit the crime. Murder = death, Rape = death, Theft = lose a hand. It is the act that must be punished not the tools involved.
    I fall into this camp as well. Good post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macx View Post
    - Revoke the 1934 and 1986 gun acts. Repeal all laws banning the carry of firearms concealed or open by citizens eligible to posses firearms. Disband the BATFE, and reincorporate their legal authority into the Dept of Treasury to handle tax issues on alcohol and tobacco. Freeze hiring in the Dept of Treasury. Allow Sears to sell firearms out of their catalogs just like they did in my youth. Put all that in a federal law with a preemption clause to abolish all the state laws restricting carry, NFA, requiring permits, etc.

My reasoning is simple - Gun laws have increased and violent crime has increased. There are no reputable sources that indicate that any gun laws stop any violent crime. There is reputable information indicating that Shall Issue states have lowwer crime rates than states with no carry or carry only by the rich (CA & NY) . . . armed citizens seem to have a deterent effect on crime. It appears that the militia is the most effective tool against violent crime. As we all know, A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Obviously we should end the infringements and decrease violent crime.
    I could not agree more!!
    Last edited by Abraxas; 01-08-09 at 21:52.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123