Thread: Reputable Shotgun Smith Recommendations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Reputable Shotgun Smith Recommendations

Let me start by saying I know little about shotguns. I mostly own and shoot ARs and HK pistols (this will be important in just a moment).

I’ve inherited a Remington 870 that appears to be an old police issue with wood furniture and ghost ring sights from my father. He wasn’t much of a shooter and he doesn’t seem have known much about the basic upkeep of his firearms, namely, living in a humid place, he did not control the humidity in his safe. Therefore, this shotgun has a good bit of surface rust on the receiver and barrel, the wood furniture is a bit swollen, and there is rust on the pump mechanism rails and around the extractor. Despite this, it seems to function as it should. I’ve shot 50 or so problem-free rounds through it.

This shotgun is the only firearm I have that isn’t an AR, ARX160 or HK pistol (I do have a Glock 45 inbound). My gun owning quirk is that I only own firearms that I know won’t become rust buckets after a day of shooting in inclement weather or a trip down to my parent’s place. When considering a prospective firearm, I ask myself whether I would have trusted it in Iraq and Afghanistan or during four weeks at the JRTC. These firearms are obviously easy to maintain. I know I’m probably missing out on some fantastic guns but I can’t get past this (and I know there many other firearms that would satisfy my quirk that I don’t own).

Obviously this shotgun doesn’t meet my expectations. So, for sentimental reasons and because I’d like to have a shotgun I can trust in adverse conditions, I wish to have the rust sorted, a durable finish applied, polymer furniture affixed and a pic rail installed for a T1. I’m not averse to paying $7-800 to make this happen (or more if this amount won’t cut it, in your opinion).

Questions:

1. Who can do these things well?
    2. Which coating ought I request? In my head, the good idea fairy says phosphate and then cerakote on top of that.

Suggestions:

I happily invite ideas for any other component upgrades/component replacement (to head off future issues that may be brewing because of the neglect shown to the gun)…again I know so very little about shotguns.

Google wasn’t my friend on this one, I’m overwhelmed.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Apoptotic; 03-10-22 at 13:58.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM