Thread: Reputable Shotgun Smith Recommendations

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Reputable Shotgun Smith Recommendations

Let me start by saying I know little about shotguns. I mostly own and shoot ARs and HK pistols (this will be important in just a moment).

I’ve inherited a Remington 870 that appears to be an old police issue with wood furniture and ghost ring sights from my father. He wasn’t much of a shooter and he doesn’t seem have known much about the basic upkeep of his firearms, namely, living in a humid place, he did not control the humidity in his safe. Therefore, this shotgun has a good bit of surface rust on the receiver and barrel, the wood furniture is a bit swollen, and there is rust on the pump mechanism rails and around the extractor. Despite this, it seems to function as it should. I’ve shot 50 or so problem-free rounds through it.

This shotgun is the only firearm I have that isn’t an AR, ARX160 or HK pistol (I do have a Glock 45 inbound). My gun owning quirk is that I only own firearms that I know won’t become rust buckets after a day of shooting in inclement weather or a trip down to my parent’s place. When considering a prospective firearm, I ask myself whether I would have trusted it in Iraq and Afghanistan or during four weeks at the JRTC. These firearms are obviously easy to maintain. I know I’m probably missing out on some fantastic guns but I can’t get past this (and I know there many other firearms that would satisfy my quirk that I don’t own).

Obviously this shotgun doesn’t meet my expectations. So, for sentimental reasons and because I’d like to have a shotgun I can trust in adverse conditions, I wish to have the rust sorted, a durable finish applied, polymer furniture affixed and a pic rail installed for a T1. I’m not averse to paying $7-800 to make this happen (or more if this amount won’t cut it, in your opinion).

Questions:

1. Who can do these things well?
    2. Which coating ought I request? In my head, the good idea fairy says phosphate and then cerakote on top of that.

Suggestions:

I happily invite ideas for any other component upgrades/component replacement (to head off future issues that may be brewing because of the neglect shown to the gun)…again I know so very little about shotguns.

Google wasn’t my friend on this one, I’m overwhelmed.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Apoptotic; 03-10-22 at 13:58.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    Man, I know squat about Rhode Island but you should be able to find someone local. Ask around at some LGS for someone to do a good clean and refinish. Most of the rest is simple DIY, or they'll have it apart for coating anyway.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Send it off to Wilson and then do their magic.
    https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun-customization/

Forget the pic rail, get a CROM.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Remington Steal package from Wilson Combat could be that which you're after. Along with/or some of their a la carte offerings.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Damn, this is perfect. I wasn’t aware Wilson worked on shotguns. I also didn’t know about CROMs either which suits my need better than a pic rail.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Damn, this is perfect. I wasn’t aware Wilson worked on shotguns. I also didn’t know about CROMs either which suits my need better than a pic rail.
    I like the Haught Mod version. Also take look at their Q-DC, I have them on both my 870 and 1301. You can quickly recharge your on-board ammo supply with an AK'esque reload, it is sweet.

A word of advice, Aridus currently has in-stock everything you need from them and that is not often the case. I highly recommend jumping on it now, as in right now, tomorrow may be a different story.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sweet. I just ordered the Haugt Mod CROM.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This sounds like a project that AI&P Tactical/ JD would be suited for.

JD is old school. He knows how an 870P should be, and how to make it so. He strikes me as the kind of man who can understand and complete your project of restoration of your father's shotgun properly.

I would humbly suggest simply this, and then buy a 1301 for functional needs. The 870P will be more valuable to you like this, long run, imo, and the 1301 far more capable under duress.
    Last edited by WS6; 03-14-22 at 04:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    They purchased Scattergun Technologies years ago, iirc.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    They purchased Scattergun Technologies years ago, iirc.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!