Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on building a 6.5 Grendel for hunting.

Feedback Score

Advice on building a 6.5 Grendel for hunting.

Hi there, glad to be here.

I really like a two-tone look to most everything. Car paint schemes, firearms, etc.

I came because I need advice on building a set of 6.5 Grendel rifles for hunting. Doing a "his" and "hers" set of AR's on consecutively-numbered lowers.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what barrel profile, length, material, and maker for the builds. Rifles will be for hunting in mostly wooded areas. Deer will be the common target.

Thanks!

So far: Anderson lower, Aero Precision upper, Rock River Arms lower parts kit with National Match 2-stage trigger, ERGO grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ballistic Advantage would be a good option. Ive had good experiences with their 5.56 barrels. For a woods hunting rifles I think a 16 inch barrel should be fine.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Thanks man but they don't (currently) have a lightweight barrel listed. That may change.....

If it doesn't, I've kinda settled on a Wilson Combat 16 inch "Recon" barrel with that black "Armor Tuff" they offer. Looking at one of their Nickel Boron BCG's too.

Plan to put a muzzle brake on it also. My wife's rifle will get built first and seeing how much I like it, I may go for a longer barrel for my build.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How many times has your wife been hunting, and how many animals has she killed?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tone Effect View Post

I've kinda settled on a Wilson Combat 16 inch "Recon" barrel with that black "Armor Tuff" they offer. Looking at one of their Nickel Boron BCG's too.

Plan to put a muzzle brake on it also.

Thoughts?
    3 of my friends and I have probably bought 6 wilson combat barrels over the past year. To be fair the 223 wylde needed to be sent back for a short chamber, but every other barrel was sub moa. Check out my Savage MSR10 thread to see the groups. It makes 5 shot 1/2" groups with my handloads. I didnt get my barrel coated as it would just have added time onto the order and I'll just paint a gun myself if I want to.

I hate muzzle brakes.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you want feedback on a question, it's generally recommended that your thread title be that question.
    In this instance, a good title for usable feedback would be something along the lines of:
    "Advice on 6.5 Grendel for Hunting"

I promise that you'll get more helpful info from that kind of presentation.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you want feedback on a question, it's generally recommended that your thread title be that question.
    In this instance, a good title for usable feedback would be something along the lines of:
    "Advice on 6.5 Grendel for Hunting"

I promise that you'll get more helpful info from that kind of presentation.
    Might be handy to put it in an appropriate section, too...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...eyond-5-56-223
    or perhaps...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?202-Hunting
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Consider the Ruger American Ranch. It’s two-tone (lol), lightweight, mine seems to be accurate, its threaded in case a silencer or other muzzle device is desired (I strongly recommend a silencer) and its handy in brush. Also takes AR Grendel mags, and has sling swivels.

When I shot groups to zero it, they were tighter than I normally shoot. If you get one, work the shit out of the bolt for dry fire and shoot it a couple hundo rds before trying to do work. The action was somewhat rough.

I live in the Southeast, and I promise it’ll kill any critter we have here, in a hurry.

Edit: Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-14-22 at 18:24. Reason: Add a welcome
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Consider the Ruger American Ranch. It’s two-tone (lol), lightweight, mine seems to be accurate, its threaded in case a silencer or other muzzle device is desired (I strongly recommend a silencer) and its handy in brush. Also takes AR Grendel mags, and has sling swivels.

When I shot groups to zero it, they were tighter than I normally shoot. If you get one, work the shit out of the bolt for dry fire and shoot it a couple hundo rds before trying to do work. The action was somewhat rough.

I live in the Southeast, and I promise it’ll kill any critter we have here, in a hurry.

Edit: Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining.
    Ruger Americans are very underrated, IMHO. Other 6.5 Grendel bolt actions to consider are the CZ 527 and Howa Mini.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should check out the 6.5 Grendel forum.

https://www.65grendel.com
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast