Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grendel Mags

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Grendel Mags

I’m having feeding issues on my 20” Grendel build and it is getting a bit maddening.

It will feed a couple rounds correctly then jam a round into the top of the barrel extension.

I currently use E-Lander mags, which are supposed to be gtg, but are not.

I bought an AA bolt in case it isn’t the mags, but I’m thinking it’s definitely the mags because the rounds get all janky when I manually cycle them out of the mags.

What mags are you using in your Grendel?

Are feeding issues just something I need to live with?

Am I missing something?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-11-22 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Duramag 20 round mags work the best for me across all my Grendel ARs.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Slide a round out of the top of your mags. If the edge of the brass neck hits the flat front of the magazine, file that front more curved so the brass clears it. I was removing brass by had, pushing them out the front and they would hit that sharp edge and hang up. Also sanded the sharp inside of the feed lips so they don't grab the brass so hard and don't leave deep scratches.

Feedback Score
    I primarily use ASC Grendel mags. The 15 and 25 round magazines. I also have a few Duramag/C-Product Grendel mags. I have had good luck with both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Slide a round out of the top of your mags. If the edge of the brass neck hits the flat front of the magazine, file that front more curved so the brass clears it. I was removing brass by had, pushing them out the front and they would hit that sharp edge and hang up. Also sanded the sharp inside of the feed lips so they don't grab the brass so hard and don't leave deep scratches.
    You can certainly do this. I had feeding issues using Duramag/C-Product 7.62x39 mags in my 2 AR's in that caliber. I filed down the front of the mag as suggested above, slightly bent the feed lips upwards a little and also flattened about 3/4" of the vertical support ribs in the mag body. These tweaks helped to end feeding problems. Bending the feed lips up a little allowed the top round to sit a little higher in the mag and it then fed into the chamber much more consistently.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 03-11-22 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All of my Grendel mags are from AA and have blue followers. They are a few years old and I have never had any feeding issues

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm using E-Lander mags for mine. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable so far.

How many of the E-Landers have you tried?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Grendel Mags

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I'm using E-Lander mags for mine. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable so far.

How many of the E-Landers have you tried?
    I have three big ones and one little one. (I can’t remember how many rounds they hold.)

The little one, 4 rounds, for hunting, seems ok. It is the bigger ones where one side of the mag gets tilted and the rounds go wonky.

My followers are white.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-12-22 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OG (2008-2009?) C-products, AA mags, and elander. Never had an issue across three Grendel's and thousands of rounds.

Feedback Score
    I’ve mainly shot E-Lander 17s & 10s without issue in two ARs and a Ruger Am Predator.

Never had any feeding issues but top round is pretty tight on a full mag, but all of em got looser with use. I usually downloaded them one or two rounds on break in.

Also have a CPD 30 rounder, the big curved one. Not 100% reliable when fully loaded but usually nothing that can’t be cleared with a tap of the FA. But it doesn’t get used.

But I grabbed a dozen CPD 20s and those have been great right out of the box, no break in. Popping out the top round of a full mag is noticeably easier than the E-Landers. The E-Landers have heavy steel bodies and STRONG springs.

On the Grendel forum someone was having a similar issue with a Ruger AR mag bolt action. Cycling fast usually fed but cycling the bolt slowly often ended up with what you’re describing. As the round was stripped, it’d sometimes nose up and jam. Cutting a few loops off his E-Lander spring fixed his problem.
    Last edited by wanderson; 03-14-22 at 14:19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast