Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring

Feedback Score

Spring

Is there a way to tell what # spring is in your gun if you don't know?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You may want to tell us what gun and what spring and maybe a pic. Be a better first start. Best of luck and welcome.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    What make/model gun and rather it’s OEM spring/which spring as PB said.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You can buy or build a jig to measure recoil spring weight, but springs are so cheap that it's easier to just buy the weight you want.

If you're trying to figure out your preferred weight, you can buy kits with several weights ($20-$30, maybe less), and use them to dial it in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    …springs are so cheap that it's easier to just buy the weight you want. If you're trying to figure out your preferred weight, you can buy kits with several weights ($20-$30, maybe less), and use them to dial it in.
    My favorite remedy for accelerating senility.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupguy View Post
    Is there a way to tell what # spring is in your gun if you don't know?
    By just looking at it, I'd say no.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
    My favorite remedy for accelerating senility.
    Yep, buy the spring weight you want, then you know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    You can buy or build a jig to measure recoil spring weight, but springs are so cheap that it's easier to just buy the weight you want.

If you're trying to figure out your preferred weight, you can buy kits with several weights ($20-$30, maybe less), and use them to dial it in.

The blue Dykem line tells me where to take my measurement at for the particular firearm and the particular compressed length that I want to measure at. (that compressed length will depend on the particular firearm)

Pull until you see the line and then look at the scale. Not hard at all...

Feedback Score
    Had my springs been even remotely organized as yours, I wouldn’t need to visit Wolff as often.

It’s an interesting system, but too demanding for my obsolete intellectual HP, and annoying lack of patience. I’ll stick with the wasteful credit card system. Still, it’s nice to know that you can do so, even for fun. Thank you for sharing knowledge.
    Last edited by Dan_B; 03-19-22 at 19:20.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Can I tag onto the spring thread with another spring question?

I have a Colt LW Commander and I swapped the ambi safety with an extended single sided safety when I bought it. The safety does not feel as "crisp" as I would like, although its decent after some careful profiling. I was comparing it to my new SA Garrison which also has an extended single side safety and the plunger spring is noticably stronger on the SA. I proved this by launching the SA plunger assembly not once but twice.

I am not sure if my Colt spring is weak or the SA spring overpowered. Thoughts?

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast