Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: "Best" BCG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am pretty sure that Toolcraft cannot "use" the drawings and specifications they received as part of the contract on the commercial BCGs. The CAGE marked BCGs are assumed to be produced in excess of the contractual requirements and sold as surplus.

Andy
    You would be correct. All drawings and specifications, and any machine code written using the information in the drawings and specifications, is proprietary to Colt, even if the contract is which the USG for spare parts. This material is supposed to be returned Colt (or the USG) at the conclusion of the contract.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Chime back in when you have any evidence that the Toolcraft stuff is somehow inferior or substandard to the current Colt offerings...
    That has nothing to do with what I said.

The question was "what is the difference between the CAGE marked BCG and a commercial offering?".

If Toolcraft supplied BCGs to DoD, then those BCGs are produced to a known standard. If the CAGE marked BCGs are contract overruns, they should be as well.

The commercial BCGs sold by Toolcraft are built to a standard that is proprietary to Toolcraft or their customers/vendors.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-23 at 08:08.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pretty much, Ive heard of zero people who make their purchasing decisions based on the electron microscopy image of their bolt coating. What I do is know is its always the garbage bottom tier bolt mfgs who tend to chose NiB over the other platings like NP3 or Chrome. Then there are numerous reports like yours of NiB bolts and carriers sh**ting the bed more often than other types of platings and coatings. To me thats called a clue. I won't touch a NiB bolt with a 10ft pole.

Before I went to FZ, I did go digging online to find pros and cons, and I not finding much in the way of NiB collecting crap over time.

Can you share some links or articles on this issue?
    Ran into this recent video that pretty much echoes what Ive been saying for years about bolt and carrier coatings.

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    3….2…1 until the usual suspect makes an appearance to cast aspersions in yet another thread.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I been using these these two brand of BCG's for years with zero issues. Are they the "best" or not, who knows ? I'll let you know when they break. LOL !!!

Geissele Reliability Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group

SOLGW Bolt Carrier Group SOLGW 5.56 158 Carpenter SP/HPT/MPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QyAAZ5MMg4

The Geissele Reliability Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group is a 5.56mm full-mass, full-auto rated M16/M4 bolt carrier group manufactured in Geissele’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in North Wales, PA. The carrier features a properly torqued and staked, Chrome Lined, Nano coated, gas key. The cam pin is machined from an advanced tool steel also used to produce medical instrumentation known as H13, it is then coated with Nanoweapon (Chrome-Nitride) for maximum corrosion and wear resistance. The extended upper rails on the carrier also provide much greater stability and dramatically increase feeding reliability. The Carrier is coated with Nanoweapon for maximum corrosion and wear resistance.

The Geissele Stressproof Bolt is made from Carpenter 158, however this is not your typical material spec’d by the US Government. Since Geissele wanted to take it to the next level, our engineers worked directly with the Carpenter Steel metallurgists in Reading PA, to produce a special type of material known as Carpenter 158+. This material is cleaner with less impurities, ultimately making it stronger and more consistent. We did not stop there, we decided to forge the bolt. Using the same process used to produce upper and lower receivers, a forged bolt manipulates the grain structure of the metal and yields a bolt capable of 5 times the life of a mil-spec bolt. Each bolt is then rigorously inspected, high pressure tested, mag particle inspected and coated with Nanoweapon for maximum corrosion and wear resistance.

SONS OF LIBERTY BOLT CARRIER GROUP:

Bolt:

Precision machined from Carpenter Technology No. 158 chrome-nickel alloy
    Heat treated per mil-spec,
    Shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S,
    Vibratory tumbled
    Individual high pressure/proof (HP) test
    Full Auto test fired at assembly
    Individual magnetic particle inspection ASTM E1444/E1444M (MP)
    Markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened, HP=High Pressure Tested, MP=Magnetic Particle Inspection.)
    Extractor:

Precision machined from 4340 tool steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D (vs 4140)
    Heat treated
    Shot peen per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S
    Extractor Retaining Pin:

Precision machined and ground S7 Tool Steel
    Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
    Shot peened per mil-spec print
    Manganese phosphate
    Extractor Spring:

Tactical Springs/Sprinco 5 coil, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock
    Heat treated
    Stress relieved, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused
    Cryogenic processed (Hidden post winding)
    Mil-spec black insert/synthetic elastomer extractor buffer (nitrile-butadiene, shore hardness 80+/-5 durometer per MIL-PRF-6855)
    Ejector:

S7 Tool Steel
    Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
    Shot peened per Mil-Spec
    Manganese phosphate
    Ejector Spring:
    Heat treated
    Mil Spec
    Gas Rings:

Standard stainless steel per Mil-Spec X3
    Carrier:

Machined from AISI 8620 aircraft quality alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
    Full auto profile
    Heat-treated
    Carburized/strain relieved, hard chrome bore
    Precision ground gas key interface
    Sons of Liberty Battle Flag logo deep laser engraved
    Manganese phosphate
    Gas Key:

Machined from 4130 Chromoly steel alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
    Heat-treated; hard chrome internal
    Manganese phosphate
    Permatex sealed
    Grade 8 hex screws torqued and staked Hidden per mil-spec
    Cam Pin:

Precision machined 4340 Chromoly steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D
    Heat-treated/processed per mil-spec
    Manganese phosphate
    Solid film lubricant applied and cured per mil-spec
    Firing Pin:

Precision machined 8640 steel alloy
    Heat treated/processed per mil-spec
    Hard chrome plate
    Firing Pin Retaining Pin:

Precision machined from 1038 carbon steel
    Heat-treated/processed per mil-spec
    Manganese phosphate
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-09-23 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    What about a standard BCG for running suppressed is one finish better than others? I always tend to buy Microbest Phosphate...Thanks....looking into my first can.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikefirst View Post
    What about a standard BCG for running suppressed is one finish better than others? I always tend to buy Microbest Phosphate...Thanks....looking into my first can.
    NP3 or chrome. Personally, I think NP3 cleans up easier than chrome.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    NP3 or chrome. Personally, I think NP3 cleans up easier than chrome.
    I damn near dropped my first SIONICS Np3 BCG, it was like a wet fish trying to get away and it almost did.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I smiled when I read this because I had the exact same reaction to some Mecgar low friction Beretta mags.

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I run a bunch of LMT enhanced BCG’S suppressed. But I recently bought a Geissele and was surprised how well it cleaned up, and was filthy from running suppressed. If your gun is properly gassed, you don’t really need a fancy carrier. It don’t

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast