Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: "Best" BCG

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    FailZero BCG's. Never an issue. Which can be said for 50 other BCG's. FZ has been good thus far, so that's the goto item.
    And yeah, FZ is treated toolcraft, but the two vendor hands-on does have a rather decent end product.
    The problem, for me, with FZ carriers is their so slick the lube doesn't stay put. The finish is like glass, and even Froglube struggles to stay on the part(s)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The problem, for me, with FZ carriers is their so slick the lube doesn't stay put. The finish is like glass, and even Froglube struggles to stay on the part(s)
    Where exactly do you "need" the lube to stick?

The coating is there for a reason. Take a FZ item and then buff it with fine diamond paste(s), makes it even more slick. The need to lube becomes less.

Have you had any BCG or action fails because lack of lube?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Where exactly do you "need" the lube to stick?

The coating is there for a reason. Take a FZ item and then buff it with fine diamond paste(s), makes it even more slick. The need to lube becomes less.

Although true, the surface is less demanding of lube, I like the front half of the BCG (in and out) to be fairly wet for the purpose of suspending as much fouling as possible. My preference over the years has grown to being able to wipe away the dirty lube and add more in lieu of total cleaning. I ran the FZ carrier in a 14.5 middy with suppressor, and it always seemed too dry on the outer surface.

Now there was no catastrophic problems with this, but with a can, I like to let the extra filth suspend in the lube.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Not me personally because I lube my shit, during classes at lunch I give it a couple squirts whether it needs it or not...but I have seen multiple people in classes have their stuff choke from lack of lube. Juice them up and they're back in the game. Probably the number one reason I see for malfunctions, number two being a backwards hammer spring.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw a SOTAR video where he noted that FZ BCG's have gas key issues due to the screws not being torqued to the correct torque value.

Feedback Score
    I never had issue with FZ key screws. I don't have 10,000 FZ BCG's neither, so maybe the few I have are the exception?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I never had issue with FZ key screws. I don't have 10,000 FZ BCG's neither, so maybe the few I have are the exception?
    Where the keys finished in FZ too? I think I installed my key because it's phosphate.

Feedback Score
    Isn't NiB (like the FZ) actually porous when looked at REAL closely? i.e. under a magnifying glass or microscope? IIRC that is the reason they have been bashed here on M4C as they tend to fill in those pores with carbon. Never owned a NiB BCG personally, but I recall threads here that were not exactly favorable to that finish.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Isn't NiB (like the FZ) actually porous when looked at REAL closely? i.e. under a magnifying glass or microscope? IIRC that is the reason they have been bashed here on M4C as they tend to fill in those pores with carbon. Never owned a NiB BCG personally, but I recall threads here that were not exactly favorable to that finish.
    I have a couple "higher quality" NIB BCG from back in the day and they all darkened from carbon. They are all still super slick and work just fine. However, I wouldn't buy a new one with all the other options out there.

I also run NP3, nitride, and Cryptic Coatings with good success. I also found a renewed respect for phosphate and how it holds lube.

I guess my point is that any quality BCG will run regardless of finish...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I think people tend to loose their reference when they start to look at pictures magnified to to where features smaller than 1 μm (0.00004 inch) are visible.

The nodular formation does make it appear that Nickel-Boron coatings are "porous", but then the hard chromium plating shown in the third image also shows porosity. And, the fourth image shows the micro-cracking present in all hard chromium plating, very bad for fatigue resistance. The porosity and the cracking are what make these two coatings good at what they do. They trap lubricants. Electroless Nickel coatings do not stay as bright and shiny as chrome plating, but fears of carbon build-up and eventual clogging of the action are just silly.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast