Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: "Best" BCG

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you were asked to sign a NDA? Why?
    It's an armorer course, of which I have done many. I am paying a lot of money (far more than a typical armorer course) to go over what is essentially public information and if I somehow disseminate that information you're going to sue me? Maybe I deal with a lot more NDAs than most people and because of that, I understand the ramifications.

He did give us propriety handouts with gauging info that he asked us to not share publicly on the internet and I never would do that anyway. If you want that info, talk to me in person or take his class. Knowledge is power but not if you don't know how to use it. There are a lot of people that spew his info that have never taken a class or his class and have no idea what any of it means.

His class has a lot of nuance to it. I think if you were going there as your first armorers class or didn't have a ton of experience you wouldn't really understand what's going on big picture. You would learn a ton, and it would be worth your time, but you would not be able to put the pieces together the way that you would if you had experience and several armorers courses behind you. You would get far more out of how to build/work on guns from Sully, SOLGW, or previous classes from Will.

The big picture is Stoner had a recipe, and I would say there's only a handful of companies that get that. Everybody else is just building Legos (my takeaway, not quoting Chad). Not to say that you can't build amazing rifles without knowing all that but it's helpful. Probably more so for manufacturers than the average joe. There were manufacturers in our class that had no idea.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I started the whole NDA thing with my comment, so I’m not going to go back and edit, but I also don’t think that comment was fair. Chad is a member here, I love his work on YouTube, mostly read in his SOTAR Facebook group, and have appreciated his participation here. I also didn’t find with a quick search where I believe I’ve read that, so take it with a grain of salt, especially since someone here explicitly experienced that not being the case. Perhaps I misunderstood, though still fairly confident it was a thing at one point.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 02-03-23 at 12:46. Reason: member not meme

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Where does one find these pin-gauge sets for the BCG? I looked for that info from SOTAR on YouTube but couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here you go, zoom in on the pic you can see the #s on the gauges, then just go to Mcmaster Carr and buy the individual pins.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Where does one find these pin-gauge sets for the BCG? I looked for that info from SOTAR on YouTube but couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you watch his videos closely enough and look at drawings it is pretty easy to figure out the sizes you need and order the pin gauges from a reputable source.

He doesn’t spoon feed you the information, but it is there if you are paying attention.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you were asked to sign a NDA? Why?
    That SOTAR dude is a cat owner.

Need I say more...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Just buy pin gauges from a machine shop supply like McMaster-Carr, Shop tools, MSC, Grainger they even sell them on Amazon.
    You'll need a carrier drawing -https://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/
    Good post that should not be lost in the weeds...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Sionics NP3 BCG is a nice chunk of metal.
    The fit and finish is top notch and test fired.
    I didn't think $220 was out of line with what I received.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Here you go, zoom in on the pic you can see the #s on the gauges, then just go to Mcmaster Carr and buy the individual pins.

Why do you think you will need those pin gauges?

Remember, he is measuring brand new components. If you feel the need to do the quality checks on all your components you buy, you might want to consider a better brand of parts...

He does all that measuring and gauging to show you which brands you don't need to worry about.

The gauges, you what are not the ones that check the parts against the drawings, you want the gauges to check for excess wear. The tail of the bolt show come from the factory with a diameter of 0.2501" to 0.2505", but how small can it get before you start having issues?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post

Remember, he is measuring brand new components. If you feel the need to do the quality checks on all your components you buy, you might want to consider a better brand of parts...

He does all that measuring and gauging to show you which brands you don't need to worry about.

The gauges, you what are not the ones that check the parts against the drawings, you want the gauges to check for excess wear. The tail of the bolt show come from the factory with a diameter of 0.2501" to 0.2505", but how small can it get before you start having issues?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post

None of this has to do with "which brands you don't need to worry about" or wear. It has to do with gas and efficiency.
    nawai

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast