Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a mount for an Aimpoint Comp M5

Feedback Score

Help me pick a mount for an Aimpoint Comp M5

So I have decided to buy an Aimpoint Comp M5 because of all the 2 MOA dot RDS's I've had a chance to look through the Comp M5 has the cleanest dot and the best glass by a wide margin. Plus having a 4 year old in the house with many many toys running AAA batteries I have so many of the damn things around it kind of makes sense to have an RDS that runs off of them.

It will be pulling sighting duties on a KAC SR-15 with a 16" bbl working in conjunction with a Cloud Defensive OWL, the stock KAC back up irons are mounted and zeroed with a 50/200 zero. Setting this up to drop some weight off of the gun which currently has my trusty Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 in a Nightforce Uni-Mount, and make it more useful as a bump in the night grab and go type of carbine. The wife will be using it too, so the RDS makes it a lot easier for her to deal with and I travel for work so she's the one most likely to be home for a bump in the night (that I hope never occurs).

I can't decide what mount to use, I do prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness since using it with night vision isn't going to be a thing so no need for a tall mount. Not particularly fond of bulky throw lever QD mounts either.

My top 3 in no particular order are:

1.) Order the sight and LEAP mount from Scalarworks in a package.

2.) Order the sight and a Geissele mount.

3.) Order the sight and a Reptilia mount.

Overall the Scalarworks is most cost effective, but I have never used a mount like this before and my default is usually to go for mounts I can ugga-dugga down via a wrench because I'm skeptical of all things QD.

Any input on this project is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I’ve got two Comp M5 in the LEAP 1.57” mounts for a couple years now. Very happy with them. No issues so far.

When I looked at weight, durability, QD quality (return to zero, specifically), and relative affordability (when compared to competitors) I went with the Scalarworks mount.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If it ain't Scalerworks, it ain't S@#T!!!

Been running 2 scalerworks (not real hard so far) and I'm pleased.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Well that is helpful thanks gentlemen.

Nice YATYAS reference markm.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have the Scalarworks on mine, and I love it.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have all three and think the Geissele is by far the best one.

Scalarworks is nice but the little thumb screw doesn’t get very tight, I can hit the optic and feel it move in the slot, and for some reason I always need a pair of pliers to loosen it if I tighten it as tight as my fingers can get it. Which is maybe 6 in/lbs.

Reptilia is nice but the screw doesn’t instill much confidence with the deep hole in the head. I’ve seen too many 1911 grip screws like that break. Looking for an Allen wrench is annoying.

Geissele has a proper crossbolt with nut like any reputable optics mount does. You can torque it u til you crush the upper with an open or box end wrench, crescent wrench, socket, nut driver, pliers, channel locks, your teeth, whatever.
    Last edited by 17K; 03-23-22 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Scalarworks is nice but the little thumb screw doesn’t get very tight, I can hit the optic and feel it move in the slot, and for some reason I always need a pair of pliers to loosen it if I tighten it as tight as my fingers can get it. Which is maybe 6 in/lbs.
    Do you have a LEAP, or one of the older LDMs? I've heard of issues with the LDMs, but not the LEAP thus far. I personally never had any issues with my Scalarworks LEAP 1.93" when using it with a CompM5.

Other options to consider are the Spuhr and Arisaka options if you're after 7075. If you're not opposed to spacers to achieve lower one-third and 6061, perhaps the Centurion Arms or the old Daniel Defense. Midwest Industries for something more budget without a spacer.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have Micros in 1/3 lower mounts from Scalarworks and Bobro, no complaints about either. The Scalarworks is obviously lighter and lower profile. My next Aimpoint mount will will be a Unity FAST.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I see Scalarworks just increased pricing. The Geissele and Comp M5 are within $25 or so. I trust a mount with recoil lugs and a stout cross bolt more.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Do you have a LEAP, or one of the older LDMs? I've heard of issues with the LDMs, but not the LEAP thus far. I personally never had any issues with my Scalarworks LEAP 1.93" when using it with a CompM5.

Other options to consider are the Spuhr and Arisaka options if you're after 7075. If you're not opposed to spacers to achieve lower one-third and 6061, perhaps the Centurion Arms or the old Daniel Defense. Midwest Industries for something more budget without a spacer.
    Leap made in 2021.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast