Thread: Mossberg 590A1

Feedback Score

Mossberg 590A1

Over the years I've heard (anecdotally) that the 590A1's heavy-walled barrel stemmed from a Navy requirement. Never seen any official documentation on this, though. Is this actually the case?

Feedback Score
    Although still "anecdotal", as I didn't see any footnote or reference to a source, this referenced article speaks to the alleged Navy's request for a thicker barrel:
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...sive-shotguns/

As this is merely a magazine article, it's possible the USN's request for a thicker barrel could be just more anecdotal comments repeated in the article. Although the story of a thicker barrel makes sense, it may or may not be true. I just wouldn't know how to research or get a hold of an RFP on the M590A1 from about 1987. Maybe someone else can or will find such a document.

As I recall, in 1987 the "internet" was barely off-the-ground or even still unheard of. There were paper, hardcopy files, microfiche, microfilm, and maybe these "documents" were digitized and stored somewhere as part of the "internet". Maybe everything is in the internet, but just where is beyond me.
    Last edited by L-2; 03-19-22 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    The basic 590 was introduced in 1987. I believe the 590A1 came along somewhat later (although I stand to be corrected on that).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    The basic 590 was introduced in 1987. I believe the 590A1 came along somewhat later (although I stand to be corrected on that).
    I think that is right although A1 may be more Mossberg marketing than anything else. I swear it seems like the A1 initial ads just claimed it was adding in the metal safety and trigger housing that had been the milspec.

Feedback Score
    Looking back through the various revisions of MIL-STD-3443, Rev D (5 Nov 75) specified a metal trigger guard. The next Revision ("E") dated 20 Mar 89 stated:

"3.10.!.2 Trigger quard . The trigger guard shall be of metal or suitable glass fiber-filled nylon plastic construction and shall have sufficient strength to prevent manual. deflection of the bow (causing actuation of the firing mechanism) or permanent deformation of the bow."

Apparently "glass fiber filled nylon plastic construction" proved to be lacking in durability because Rev G went back to requiring metal construction. I recall watching a video of a test performed by Ruger (IIRC) in which a plastic and an aluminum trigger guard were both placed in a test fixture, and then both were subjected to an impact by a five pound weight dropped from a distance of several feet (can't recall the exact distance). The aluminum trigger guard cracked. The weight simply bounced off the plastic version, leaving no damage. So (presumably) polymers have improved over those earlier types?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I couldn't find anything specific stating it. I know in Iraq and Afghanistan our battalion COC had several in the racks and there were others in the armory. The Chief Gunner told me that it was a specific request because of the fleeters dinging the barrels going thru the hatches and passageways while performing shipboard defense training. I just thought it was plausible as I spent over 20 years serving and have seen the weapons skill of many non combat types. I like that it soaks up recoil because of the weight a bit.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I have a Mossberg 500A and was curious as to what barrels, chokes, and other attachments are regular military equipment.

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering about the equipment the military use in the event that I decide to follow in their footsteps and create a tactical pistol.