Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $10,000 to invest when market sh!ts

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    An all stock portfolio like above can and will experience periodic large drawdowns. You need to be sure you can stand seeing your portfolio down 30-60% without freaking out and selling. Diamond hands...It's not for the faint of heart, but with broad market index funds, something truly catastrophic would have to happen for it to never come back.

If you want smaller drawdowns on average, you can diversify a little to a 3-fund portfolio that looks something like this:
    70% US Total Stock Market Fund
    20% US Aggregate Bond Fund
    10% International Total Market Fund

Just make sure that you pick a short duration bond fund to limit your interest rate risk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    A boring ass S&P 500 index fund is tough to go wrong with. Buy the fund, and forget you own it for about 10 years.
    This, once the kids leave the house crank that rascal up to 30%

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For funzies, I'm going to bump this thread later this year or so to quantify my stock tip. And if it takes a large crap, I welcome anyone to bump this thread to shame my miserable ass!

(Last Close of CIDM $0.7420 at the time of this post) Investment basis 10k for the OP.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For funzies, I'm going to bump this thread later this year or so to quantify my stock tip. And if it takes a large crap, I welcome anyone to bump this thread to shame my miserable ass!

(Last Close of CIDM $0.7420 at the time of this post) Investment basis 10k for the OP.
    I like the cut of your jib

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Half into S&P, half into whatever the canonical opposite of the Ecomentalist 'Ethical Self-Aggrandizement' fund is that you can get at a solid cost.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I vote a leveraged etf like tqqq or upro.

Good balance of security and volitility IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It'll be interesting to see what the markets do with this nut, Putin. With our disgustingly weak and incompetent Administration, the markets COULD crash if this war spins into a big mess. I'm betting we're at or near the bottom.

Of course they could release another bio weapon, and mess everything up again.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what the markets do with this nut, Putin. With our disgustingly weak and incompetent Administration, the markets COULD crash if this war spins into a big mess. I'm betting we're at or near the bottom.

Of course they could release another bio weapon, and mess everything up again.
    Lol yeah, i think were on our way out. I just finished averaging down and broke even already.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    When the stock market experiences its seemingly inevitable, upcoming crash I would like to invest 10k.

I am a 401k, mutual fund investor. Never had much success picking stocks. I would appreciate some suggestions. I was thinking about DOW diamond or NASDAQ Spyder
    If you have the money now and you want to invest it, do it today. Time in the market beats timing the market, every time.

Invest it in VTSAX (or similar from Fidelity or other) in a brokerage account at Vanguard or Fidelity (I use Vanguard). Have it setup to put dividends in a sweep account and every quarter go in and invest those dividends back into it.

If there is a huge downturn, do what is called "tax loss harvesting". Exchange your Total Stock Market fund for a SP500 fund and in 30 days, if it is in the red, swap back. Continue to do this until the market starts going back up. You can capture all those losses and carry them forward forever and use them off offset gains when you sell at a profit later or use can use $3,000 per year to offset regular income.

It isn't hard at all and it is not something you have to try and time "just right".

Tons of great information here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/

Look for Livesoft's tutorial on Tax Loss Harvesting for a step by step description of how to do it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    If you have the money now and you want to invest it, do it today. Time in the market beats timing the market, every time.
    I agree. Even if there is another crash/correction, we're already at a decent buy level. I started trading at the tail end of the last bull run. I'm down a good chunk, but time will fix that... or we'll all get blown off the planet with our nutty leaders. In which case, the market losses won't matter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast