Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LEO trauma kit donations or discounts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the stuff is trash, I'm just noting that it is contraindicated for some patients and some manufacturers are doing a poor job of noting the allergen. Similar to how there are some dyes they used in MRI/similar imaging 20-odd years ago where they have a fish or shellfish derived ingredient and some that don't, and mom had some complications with her cancer treatment then because despite being specifically told "we'll use the allergen free option" some putz in Supply loaded the cart for her procedure with the regular stuff. As soon as they injected and it started moving through her she reported feeling like her whole body was on fire. Trademarked QC *does* specifically indicate they use kaolin so they're potentially on my Green list, Rhino Rescue is one of the bigger brands I've seen with chitosan so they're on the Red list, I need to check on NAR.

Would you knowingly give a beta-lactamase inhibitor to someone with a penicillin allergy? (BLI's are a penicillin derivative, but you gotta read the label to know.)
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22128651/

If you can find me documented cases where someone has died specifically due to the combination of hemostatic dressings and shellfish allergy, I’d be pretty appreciative of the knowledge.

I’m not telling you what to carry…this isn’t medical advice. But there is a biochem reason that you’re going to have a hard time finding those documented cases. Additionally, one of the most common hemostatic dressings, kaolin-based Combat Gauze, that I have no affiliation with, contains no chitosan, chitin, or shellfish products of any type.

Anyone in a line of work where carrying or applying hemostastic gauze is a relevant thing would do well to be professionally trained on how and when to use it.

This topic involves prompt prevention of rapid death, which I think is a pretty serious thing. Anaphylaxis is pretty serious, too, but might not be relevant here. And antibiotics are also a different topic. Including hypersensitivities to them. So hold your fire unless you really know your target, please.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-11-24 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22128651/

If you can find me documented cases where someone has died specifically due to the combination of hemostatic dressings and shellfish allergy, I’d be pretty appreciative of the knowledge.

I’m not telling you what to carry…this isn’t medical advice. But there is a biochem reason that you’re going to have a hard time finding those documented cases. Additionally, one of the most common hemostatic dressings, kaolin-based Combat Gauze, that I have no affiliation with, contains no chitosan, chitin, or shellfish products of any type.

Anyone in a line of work where carrying or applying hemostastic gauze is a relevant thing would do well to be professionally trained on how and when to use it.

This topic involves prompt prevention of rapid death, which I think is a pretty serious thing. Anaphylaxis is pretty serious, too, but might not be relevant here. And antibiotics are also a different topic. Including hypersensitivities to them. So hold your fire unless you really know your target, please.
    I guess its something to think about but I agree that logic dictates that you treat what is going to kill the patient faster, the life threatening bleed vs potential for anaphylaxis and the answer is pretty obvious. It seems that the clotting agent would be limited to the site of treatment since its not like you are shooting them up with the hemostat so systemic absorption should be extremely limited, again my opinion not medical advice but I would personally feel comfortable applying combat gauze to some unconscious patient thats bleeding out that I couldn't get a proper allergy background from. Hopefully someone with allergies that severe would have an Epipen on them since its not something I regularly stash in my IFAK/MFAK but maybe its something I should consider, those things are damn expensive though and being an injectable liquid is definitely something that needs to rotated based on exp dates.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Diamondback, chitosan impregnated gauze does not contain the protein that will cause a reaction due to shellfish allergy. Anyone reading this should assume that it is possible that I am wrong, but should also be aware that kaolin impregnated gauze is a thing as an alternative to chito, as is gauze with no hemostatic chemical agents. Don’t listen to me…listen to the Committee of Tactical Combat Casualty Care. Not saying they’re infallible, but they’re not WebMD, either.

Also, I dig your Orwell reference.

I make zero point zero dollars and zero point zero cents from sales of these products, and have no involvement in the sale or marketing of them whatsoever, but I also have pretty extensive experience in their use in both real and training context, and some formal education on the subject.

I do have a financial interest in the training on this subject, but not tied to any particular brand.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-12-24 at 06:15.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you have a patient/victim/subject dying from both bleeding out and anaphylaxis, well, it's just their day to go.

Seriously, with this topic, there's no 'there' there. Use what you want, if approved by CoTCCC they have been vetted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234