Thread: Any advantage to storing ammo boxes with assorted ammo inside them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Any advantage to storing ammo boxes with assorted ammo inside them?

Ive been reading this forum and trying to catch up. Great advice here, thanks for all the posts.

Does anyone store any ammo cans with an assortment of ammo for the guns you carry? I have worked to consolidate my calibers of any "serious" weapons and can do it with 4 calibers, (9mm, 45acp, 223, and 12ga) I was thinking there might be some value to storing say 100 rounds of each pistol ammo, 120 rounds of 223, 25 slugs, 25 buckshot, etc.

This would be in addition to any bulk storage I may or may not have.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As part of an emergency supply cache, sure, or if the goal was a single can that could be used to resupply someone/group of someone off-site. The issue I have with using them for off-site resupply would be knowing exactly what was needed vs what's packed in the can. (need 300 rounds of 5.56, there are 210 in the can; need 10 shotgun shells, have 50 in the can, etc) This limits the usefulness of the can, and would require grabbing multiple cans, defeating much of the point of mixed packing. Perhaps if a specific packing list was used "Pack A: 210 5.56 in mags, 2 boxes of 9mm" and "Pack B: 25 slugs, 25 buckshot, 2 boxes of .45"?

As it stands, the only ammo can I keep with mixed ammo are my "ready mag" boxes" with a basic combat load for several weapons loaded in mags.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    only a range box. each of my 20mm cans is dedicated to specific ammo/mag/weapon type
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know if you are talking about a get away bag or something else, nor are you clear on what scenario.

I keep these four items in my truck at all times.

1. A well equipped tool bag
    2. A recovery kit in a large duffle bag and axe
    3. A get away bag with all the necessities for suvival, including a small amount of ammo intended to take small game
    4. LIV ceramic plates / vest with 556/9mm mags / HK P30

Now if you're talking end of the world, Russian or Chi-Com invasion scenario, that is a different matter. My plan is to exfil to a house in a more remote, less densly populated area. You need to consider for how long and how much for this one and I'll offer that you're average 50 Cal ammo can isn't going to hold enough for you to be able to defend for any reasonble length of time or take any necessary offensive action.

I will have all of the above plus several rifles and pistols plus several 120mm mortar ammo can full of the ammo I may need. I have pre-staged some of what I need in the remote location. But will need time to travel as well as time to toss the extra stuff into my truck as I don't roll that hot every day.

Feedback Score
    Only calibers I own are 9mm, 5.56, and .22LR, simple and basic. Some ammo boxes are solely 9mm, some 5.56, some .22LR, range boxes have a mix of each, depending on what I'm shooting. Your needs may vary. I don't see any difference between storing individual v. mixing calibers.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    For a long time, I kept two 50 cal ammo cans set aside from my bulk ammo storage. Each can contained 4x 4-pocket bandolier’s of 5.56, and 4x50 round boxes of 9mm. Packed just right, it left room in the can for 6x loaded aluminum GI 30 rd AR mags to fit on top.

The idea was if I had to leave by car, I’d toss these into to car to augment any ammunition that would be in packs, ect.

ALL the additional ammunition stored was separated by caliber.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 03-20-22 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    I always keep a few 50cal cans with an assortment of 9mm, 5.56, 12ga for a quick departure. Then a pair with hunting ammo 22lr, 30-30, and 308. My main stock is split up amongst my residence and bug out property in PA. The other members of our co-op pretty much follow the same doctirine.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I simply keep calibers separate, easy. Specific 50 cal cans per each caliber.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    There could be an advantage in storing multiple calibers in ONE box if you are using that ONE box for multiple shooters/guns.

ie. If I run .308 & .40 for my primary setup, then I can do one can with both calibers to make it easier to grab.

Generally for storage and non emergency much easier to store separately. What you have to take into account is how much you can carry/grab in a fast moving situation.

Feedback Score
    I keep most ammo stored in specific ammo cans by caliber, but, there are two orange painted ammo cans that have a variety of self defense ammo ready to grab if a situation develops that requires immediate response like say a riot... these two cans (one downstairs, one upstairs) are available with the usual 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56 and 12 gauge---some already loaded in magazines for their specific firearms---thus grab and go to respond to immediate threats to the household... This happened during the somewhat recent George Floyd riots when the rioters were looting a supermarket about 1/2 mile south of my house---better safe then sorry...