Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
I haven't read enough positive feedback on the BRN180 to have enough confidence it will be reliable to buy one.

I've got the reciever, though.

Brownells just released a folding AR180-style buttstock for it. First reviews were poor. (Wobble when extended, must press a button to open it, no sling mount point)

But Brownells has responded, says its covered for life, and is contacting the manufacturer with reccomended fixes.

I wanted a simple piston 5.56 rifle, too, and got a Mini-14 Tactical. (Threaded 16 in barrel with FH) Good so far. If you buy a new one & it's not right Ruger will fix it. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Sampson folding stock is high quality.
Plenty of Ruger mags out there. @$27 for 20's, $35-40 for 30's. MagLula makes a loader for them. 2-3 moa rifle.

Worse thing? Cowitness sighting systems is tough. Ultimak and a few RDS's will barely allow use of irons. Or just upgrade the rear sight (Techsight. Its bigger, higher quality, and features changeable apertures) or mount the optic of your choice without a secondary sight.

I did the sight upgrade, sling, added a pic mount under the sight block for a light / visible laser combo, 1911 buffer at the rear of the carrier, and the Sampson stock.

Simple, handy carbine.
If the Brownells stock wobbles then it is a good recreation of the original.... Buttons? There were two to depress to close and I can't remember if one had to push to open. There have been some good reviews of the BRN 180. But, I've spent my limit on my rifles with optics lately so it will have to wait.