Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What rifles to consider?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I haven't read enough positive feedback on the BRN180 to have enough confidence it will be reliable to buy one.

I've got the reciever, though.

Brownells just released a folding AR180-style buttstock for it. First reviews were poor. (Wobble when extended, must press a button to open it, no sling mount point)

But Brownells has responded, says its covered for life, and is contacting the manufacturer with reccomended fixes.

I wanted a simple piston 5.56 rifle, too, and got a Mini-14 Tactical. (Threaded 16 in barrel with FH) Good so far. If you buy a new one & it's not right Ruger will fix it. Lots of aftermarket parts available. Sampson folding stock is high quality.
    Plenty of Ruger mags out there. @$27 for 20's, $35-40 for 30's. MagLula makes a loader for them. 2-3 moa rifle.

Worse thing? Cowitness sighting systems is tough. Ultimak and a few RDS's will barely allow use of irons. Or just upgrade the rear sight (Techsight. Its bigger, higher quality, and features changeable apertures) or mount the optic of your choice without a secondary sight.

I did the sight upgrade, sling, added a pic mount under the sight block for a light / visible laser combo, 1911 buffer at the rear of the carrier, and the Sampson stock.

Simple, handy carbine.
    If the Brownells stock wobbles then it is a good recreation of the original.... Buttons? There were two to depress to close and I can't remember if one had to push to open. There have been some good reviews of the BRN 180. But, I've spent my limit on my rifles with optics lately so it will have to wait.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am looking for something very accurate, reliable and ideally lighter than my Stag. I know the MR556 is not light. Accurate and reliable are the 2 I am most concerned with. With optic & light, my Stag weighs 8.4 lbs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    I am looking for something very accurate, reliable and ideally lighter than my Stag. I know the MR556 is not light. Accurate and reliable are the 2 I am most concerned with. With optic & light, my Stag weighs 8.4 lbs
    Might check out the WWSD rifle out of Brownells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    ideally lighter than my Stag.
    You've eliminated most options with that statement.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Look to the BRN-180……mine is quickly becoming my “go to” 5.56 carbine
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Look to the BRN-180……mine is quickly becoming my “go to” 5.56 carbine
    That's very interesting. Can you elaborate ? I will assume you an HK something to chose from, maybe an AR too.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Only gun on your list I find any interest in is the JP especially if you are looking for accuracy. I would probably have Citizens Arms build me a precision AR or maybe completely changing gears and get a Arsenal SLR-106FR or have Jim fuller build me a 556 AK.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    That's very interesting. Can you elaborate ? I will assume you an HK something to chose from, maybe an AR too.
    The BRN 180 is a modern twist on the AR180 or AR18. Pistol driven, folding stock, very smooth and a bit different than the AR15

I don’t have any HK long guns, just pistols and SP5

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I recently bought a Geissele Super Duty rifle and it has been more than impressive. Shoots lights out and gas perfectly. Everything is upgraded that needs to be upgraded black and is very fair price for what you get.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-25-22 at 17:42.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hank hill View Post
    if you want something similar but different. I would look at KAC or LMT as well.
    I bought a Geissele SD. Next up is a JP Ent AR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast