Thread: Safariland ALS with Front Serrations

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Safariland ALS with Front Serrations

I am very happy with the Safariland 63xx holsters I use with my Glocks and and looking for a OWB holster for my Commander (i.e. 4.25" 1911, no rail). The pistol is a Colt XSE model with front serrations that eat leather holsters for lunch.

Is the "suede" lining on the 63xx holsters susceptible to the same damage? My understanding is that the 7 series holsters are just not the same quality.

How well does the ALS design work with a 1911?

Retention is not a requirement and I would buy a Sidearmor kydex OWB and be done, but they no longer exist. Any recommendations for a simple "off the shelf" kydex holster? I am right handed and it will be used as a range holster.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-25-22 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am very happy with the Safariland 63xx holsters I use with my Glocks and and looking for a OWB holster for my Commander (i.e. 4.25" 1911, no rail). The pistol is a Colt XSE model with front serrations that eat leather holsters for lunch.

Is the "suede" lining on the 63xx holsters susceptible to the same damage? My understanding is that the 7 series holsters are just not the same quality.

How well does the ALS design work with a 1911?

Retention is not a requirement and I would buy a Sidearmor kydex OWB and be done, but they no longer exist. Any recommendations for a simple "off the shelf" kydex holster? I am right handed and it will be used as a range holster.

Andy
    ALS works fine, just a little different look on a 1911 model.

No serrations, so no clue.

Everything I can recall seeing on 7 versus 6 is along the lines of the 7 not "feeling" like it is the same quality. The 6 is slightly heavier, but I have been using 7 series for regular carry, woods, and(until 2020) matches with no issues. Reasonably sure if something happened where a 7 series broke while it was attached to me then I am not going to be worrying about the holster much.

Last edited by jsbhike; 03-25-22 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've carried a Glock with front serrations almost daily for over a year and a half now in an ALS and I don't see any significant wear. I don't doubt this holsters durability.

I used a 6 series safariland (SLS and ALS) for over 10 years and never saw any serious wear to the suede-like lining. Grantedz this was with handguns without front serrations, but still.

Never carried a 1911 in anything other than a leather holster, do can't comment on one with the ALS.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am overthinking it. I am satisfied with my other ALS (and SLS) holsters and a 7378 or 6378 is not ridiculously expensive. I assume a non-light 1911 Govt model ALS holster will work with a Commander as a G17 holster works with a G19?

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am overthinking it. I am satisfied with my other ALS (and SLS) holsters and a 7378 or 6378 is not ridiculously expensive. I assume a non-light 1911 Govt model ALS holster will work with a Commander as a G17 holster works with a G19?

Andy
    You are correct, mine is being used on a 4-1/4" and I would assume any shorter length that has the same ejection port location and dimensions would allow the ALS to click in place.

Not sure if it would pertain to 1911's, but a Glock 19 with no light will lock in to a G17 w/X300 ALS holster. A little wiggle that might allow enough bounce to get the ALS loose or break in an all out fight, but so far never a slip in my nondestructive curious how it will do testing.

Unless you are a human mountain and/or wear something like a duster a light bearing ALS is not a concealment holster.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    You are correct, mine is being used on a 4-1/4" and I would assume any shorter length that has the same ejection port location and dimensions would allow the ALS to click in place.

Not sure if it would pertain to 1911's, but a Glock 19 with no light will lock in to a G17 w/X300 ALS holster. A little wiggle that might allow enough bounce to get the ALS loose or break in an all out fight, but so far never a slip in my nondestructive curious how it will do testing.

Unless you are a human mountain and/or wear something like a duster a light bearing ALS is not a concealment holster.
    Yep, I have a ALS for my 17 w/light and my 19 may not fall out of it, but it is definitely loose. A non-light G17 ALS was fine/normal with a 19 though.

Andy