Thread: Franchi Momentum Elite Varmint in .223 Rem

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Franchi Momentum Elite Varmint in .223 Rem

Anyone on here have any real world feedback on this rifle? Seems to be pretty good value in current low inventory .223 bolt guns. Held on in 22-250 last week. Bolt and trigger felt really nice. The plastic stock was so so but better than a R700 plastic stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 00jabo View Post
    Anyone on here have any real world feedback on this rifle? Seems to be pretty good value in current low inventory .223 bolt guns. Held on in 22-250 last week. Bolt and trigger felt really nice. The plastic stock was so so but better than a R700 plastic stock.
    Hi 00jabo,
    If you want to take more details, contact me via tunnel rush@gmail.com.

Feedback Score
    As it happens, I've been playing with one in 308 for about a month and just had my last range trip with it yesterday.

In general, my impression is that it's...fine.

There are some interesting features on it, like the built-in folding sights that work in either the up or down position. When down, they become notch sights like a pistol. Flip them up and they become peep sights. As neat as that is, it doesn't matter if you're running a scope anyway. I like that it has QD sockets all over, along with inlaid MLOK points on the bottom and sides.

The bolt throw is short and snappy, but the handle is a bit small for my taste. Overall, though, it feels like it was built for a price point less than it actually is (retailing ~$1300). The rest of the Momentum line is around $600-$900, which feels more appropriate for the quality of materials involved. The trigger is ok. A little indistinct, especially when compared to other brands that fall under the Beretta group like Tikka and Sako.

I got it to produce about ~1 MOA groups using Federal 175gr Terminal Ascent, but it hated Hornady Outfitter 150gr CX (like 5-6" groups at 100 yards).

My biggest concern is honestly the aftermarket support potential. I don't know that anyone is ever going to produce other stocks or triggers for it.

The rifle itself is nice enough. I dig that it was lightweight and compact, and it feels like it would be super handy as a general purpose outdoors rifle. BUT I also feel like it's not doing anything particularly better than a Ruger Ranch, Howa 1500, or Tikka CTR- all three of which can be had for cheaper and much wider potential for upgrades.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman