Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low-profile 'assault pack' with thin shoulder straps?

Feedback Score

Low-profile 'assault pack' with thin shoulder straps?

I'm looking for something fill the assault pack type of role for civilian use, the usual SHTF kind of thing. When I say low-profile I mean physically, not just the appearance. Something in the ballpark of 15-20L. Earthy colors are a plus, bright colors or 'blackout' are a no-no, but beyond that I don't care if it looks tacticool or not. It must have thin or no padding on the shoulder straps. A load-bearing hip belt is preferred though.
    Anybody have any recommendations that fit the bill? Any price range is fine, I'm just seeing what's out there right now.

This will be used with a PCC with a non-adjustable stock and equipped with a prism scope - which is the main reason why thick padded shoulder straps are a problem - and a convertible sling. Main environment is low-density suburban with a lot of woodland.
    The pack's job is to hold one extra stick mag (I can sew on webbing if necessary), a 3L hydration system, medical gear that doesn't go in an IFAK, a few other nice-to-haves, and have empty space for any mission-specific crap I might need. All the gun gear is on a 'battle belt', no chest rig or PC to work around. I may or may not wear armor with it, but if I do it will be concealable stuff.

I had previously been using a Maxpedition Gila, a sling bag with a load-bearing hip belt. I thought I was content with it, but a few weeks ago I did 12 or 13 miles which is the longest I've actually hiked with it on, and I found some long-term comfort issues I hadn't found wearing it around the house that I just can't work around. I've done near 20 mile days with more weight in a hiking daypack and been fine, to say nothing of backpacking.
    So I've transferred my kit into a Deuter Compact EXP 14 for now, which is expandable and actually about 19L. Drawbacks are that it's kind of graphite dark gray and bluish gray which is not ideal, and it needs a few modifications sewn on if I stick with it, but it ticks all my other boxes so it's the bag to beat.

The Eberlestock Cherry Bomb caught my eye and I might still consider it, but it's a bit small, and I have to admit I'm stunned by the price considering the size. I also looked at the Maxpedition Riftcore, but I don't see anything about hydration compatibility and I definitely don't like the inefficient layout, and I'm not sure about those shoulder straps either, so I'm leaning away from it.
    On the hiking/cycling pack side, I'm considering the Osprey Talon 22, but it also needs a few modifications and I'm hesitant about durability based on experience with a different Osprey daypack.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Maybe? I have the 32 liter version. I would consider the straps to have thin padding. Under 1/2 inch thick. Not as bulky as some of my packs.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/brize-25-backpack

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Goruck Bullet or GR1

Www.Goruck.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the Vertx Gamut? It has been my go to pack for many years now. It is more of a CCW pack, but with all the hook and loop, you can customize it as you want. I use it in an office setting, and it works great there, but I've taken it on 12 mile hikes through Arizona and it works well in that application as well. It does have thin shoulder straps with light padding. It is a great all-round pack, but if you are more planning on something more toward; hiking, tactical, etc. I might look elsewhere.

Just looking now, they also offer the Gamut Checkpoint which looks more for PPC

https://vertx.com/gamut-2-0-backpack

https://vertx.com/gamut-checkpoint-backpack
    Last edited by Hank6046; 04-01-22 at 09:30.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A couple of packs from Grey Ghost Gear. The first link is for the ripstop nylon version. The second link is the 500D Cordura nylon version made with USA materials that comes with connections to attach it to a plate carrier or to a larger pack.

https://greyghostgear.com/collection...=5792255639581

https://greyghostgear.com/collection...38420669038773

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mystery Ranch urban line?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a couple of Crye 1500 sized bags. They have some padding on the straps but I have hunting with one on and shot a deer rifle/shotgun with no issue, and they work with an AR or AK for me. As they come they don't really have a way to organize things, but you can get a MOLLE inset that lets you set everything up as you like it. It's also convenient because you can buy a couple of the MOLLE set ups and have a quick change option. I have one set up as a "range bag" with all my shooting crap, and another I use for work.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Gregory has a few options in the 20-25L range, with waist suspension. Not sure if that's too large.

Feedback Score
    Check out the Savotta Jaakari S.

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/savo...s/minijaakari/

It's about 22L, but has a flapped top that lets you expand that a bit if needed. Compression straps on the side for bring it back down, also. The straps just 1000D Cordura with a single row of molle running down them. The thing is tough as hell and serves me well.

Here it is next to a Hill People Gear Tarahumara, which is much smaller in volume.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 04-04-22 at 19:30.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivetBerryPie View Post
    ......... It must have thin or no padding on the shoulder straps. A load-bearing hip belt is preferred though.
    I think you're going to have a real hard time finding both those things in one package, outside something like the Deuter pack you have, which is very much kind of a niche thing.
    Even military assault-type packs have more shoulder strap padding than you're saying you want.

I sounds like you're looking for something like a Mystery Ranch Rip Ruck 32 or 24. Maybe a Coulee 25. Both come in earthy colors.
    You may also want to look at the Kifaru Echo, Shape Charge, and Escape & Evade

But really, none of that is far off anything else that's been posted here so far.

Aside from that:
    1) Is the PCC going in the bag, or always going to be carried outside it?
    2) You mention concealable armor - is that plates or a soft vest? It will male a difference in pack fitment/comfort.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-08-22 at 04:46.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast