Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low-profile 'assault pack' with thin shoulder straps?

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for all of the recommendations. I'm looking into everything suggested and there are some brands I'd never heard of or considered, which is exactly what I was hoping for.
    The Savotta and Crye bags particularly got my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I think you're going to have a real hard time finding both those things in one package, outside something like the Deuter pack you have, which is very much kind of a niche thing.
    Even military assault-type packs have more shoulder strap padding than you're saying you want.
    Yeeeeeeeah, I know it's an unusual combination of features. It seems like most of the bags that have very thin shoulder straps but also a hip belt push cycling as their intended use. The Deuter does.
    If memory serves I think I could get by with the shoulder straps on the ACU assault pack, but that's about the thickest I could work with and they're not very thick. No padding at all would be preferable. I'd actually try the ACU out if it weren't just too big for my needs.
    All this is making me somewhat regret my choice of optic on this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    1) Is the PCC going in the bag, or always going to be carried outside it?
    2) You mention concealable armor - is that plates or a soft vest? It will male a difference in pack fitment/comfort.
    1) Always carried outside.
    2) A level II soft vest, and again that's if anything. I could add or substitute steel plates, but I'm not planning around doing that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was looking for something similar and ended up ordering a Kifaru Escape & Evade. It’s now my favorite pack. Use it everyday. No hip belt but I’ve found with the sternum strap buckled one isn’t really needed on a pack at that size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Check out the Savotta Jaakari S.
    And also the M.

The medium version is only 5 liters larger than the S (25 instead of 20, otherwise the same size except taller) and does have a hip belt.

The S is made to work as a day pack in conjunction with a larger ruck so it is completely flat where it meets your back and does not come with any sort of a frame or rigid sheet to give it structure - you can roll it up into a small package if needed. I think the M is better as a stand alone pack - it comes with a rigid insert, the back is contoured for better air flow, it has a lumbar pad - and it has a hip belt attached.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by X11 View Post
    And also the M.

The medium version is only 5 liters larger than the S (25 instead of 20, otherwise the same size except taller) and does have a hip belt.

The S is made to work as a day pack in conjunction with a larger ruck so it is completely flat where it meets your back and does not come with any sort of a frame or rigid sheet to give it structure - you can roll it up into a small package if needed. I think the M is better as a stand alone pack - it comes with a rigid insert, the back is contoured for better air flow, it has a lumbar pad - and it has a hip belt attached.
    The M is great, too.

I do have the additional sit pad/frame sheet in the S. My primary use is as a day pack/assault pack to supplement an LBE- but that's just my use.

I'm a pretty big fan of Savotta gear, and they deserve more notoriety in the US. Their marketing campaigns are pretty hilarious as well, especially when they do them along side Varusteleka.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If a slim 17L Made In USA top loader would work for you, the Kifaru Door Gunner a slick little pack with suspension. The old school Kifaru shoulder straps are quite thin, IMO. If by chance you wanted to just have webbing, it wouldn't be hard to build a set out of 1" webbing. A few of their small packs come with plain webbing and they sell a padded strap replacement kit, so I don't think you're too far out in uncharted waters. The ranger green/coyote colorway looks quite... outdoorsy. https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/door-gunner/

Feedback Score
    Check out the Savotta Jaakari S.

https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/savo...s/minijaakari/

It's about 22L, but has a flapped top that lets you expand that a bit if needed. Compression straps on the side for bring it back down, also. The straps just 1000D Cordura with a single row of molle running down them. The thing is tough as hell and serves me well.

Here it is next to a Hill People Gear Tarahumara, which is much smaller in volume.

That’s a nice looking pack. How is the closure system on top, just a flap?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    That’s a nice looking pack. How is the closure system on top, just a flap?
    The top is a big open mouth with a polymer stiffener on the front side.The sides pinch in and then you fold it in on itself like a roll top. The flap then fastens down over the top of that.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    OP, the Kifaru Bane checks a lot of your boxes: Coyote Brown option, thin shoulder straps, no belt but they make a stiffened attachment specifically for this bag (haven't used it though) and 18 liter capacity. My GHM9-k with brace collapsed and CompM5 will easily fit with room to spare for extra mags and other small items.

Feedback Score
    The top is a big open mouth with a polymer stiffener on the front side.The sides pinch in and then you fold it in on itself like a roll top. The flap then fastens down over the top of that.

Thanks for the picture. The 25L looks like my next pack.
    ETA: looks like it seals a little like a dry bag.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-18-22 at 13:29.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12