Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modest Civilian Loadout/Range Gear

Feedback Score

Modest Civilian Loadout/Range Gear

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations on some affordable gear, with budget of somewhere between NcStar crap and all-out, top tier duty grade. The choices and options are endless and I don't know where to begin. First I'll start out by saying I'm just a civilian. I live in a rural area. I'm looking for what I think are two things, but please correct me if I'm wrong. My first want is some kind of belt setup. Something in between a full blown "war belt" and just a basic belt and holster setup. I want to be able to use it for typical range sessions, but also be something that I could incorporate into a SHTF loadout as well. So belt obviously, but also everything else I need to go on the belt. Holster, pistol mag pouch, AR mag pouch, medical, etc. But please remember, I'm looking for a minimalist civilian type setup here. I don't want to go overboard.

Then the second thing I'd like is a plate carrier and anything extra I need to go with that also. I do plan to train with the plate carrier, but probably not every time. I do have a lot of impromptu, hey let's run by the range a shoot a little, type sessions. So ideally, I'd like to be able to keep my "battle belt" with me in my vehicle as my always-have-ready-to-roll piece of gear. But for plate carrier, it can be more toward the budget side of things if possible. One of these things where I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

So those are my two things I'm thinking I want. But please remember, I'm not trying to look like or pretend I'm any kind of "operator" or active duty/veteran/LEO. I know my limitations and I know what situations are best avoided altogether. But I want to have these items of gear and be familiar with them as a "just in case" thing. For guns I'm running a standard 16" AR and for handgun I'm running a Glock 45 with an RMR and TLR7A. Thanks in advance and I'm hoping to soak of as much knowledge as I can . Please try not to overwhelm me and I remember I'm just a civilian looking for a minimalist type loadout.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    https://www.helikon-tex.us/

These guys make good quality gear at a decent price. Threads the needle you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I put together a minimalist belt from Wilder Tactical for similar reasons a while back. Quality with reasonable prices and modular enough.
    https://wildertactical.com/belts-accessories/

Trex Arms, I have their Ragnarok holsters and have been looking at their Ready Rig (chest rig) to simply compliment that I can throw on with mags/light/first aid from the trunk. More expensive but quality as well.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/T-REX-ARMS-Chest-Rig/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Start small, start quality but not Crye-level quality. There are a lot of US shops making great gear and decent prices, like Defense Mechanisms, Unobtainium Gear, Wilde Custom Gear, Wilder Tactical, US Grunt Gear, etc. A plethora of items can be found here on the Equipment Exchange as well.

Feedback Score
    For the plate carrier, do you want a low-pro setup or load-bearing for a full setup?

I have a slickster that I can throw a shingle on and stick a turniquet and small medpouch in it.

Dont worry about what you look like, focus should be identifying what capability you want, getting the appropriate gear, and training to achieve those capabilities.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-04-22 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For the plate carrier, do you want a low-pro setup or load-bearing for a full setup?

I have a slickster that I can throw a shingle on and stick a turniquet and small medpouch in it.

Dont worry about what you look like, focus should be identifying what capability you want, getting the appropriate gear, and training to achieve those capabilities.
    Plate carrier is probably better as a low profile.

Feedback Score
    I have a few ideas here, but out of curiosity if they would work within your stated budgetary constraints- what's your waist size?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I have a few ideas here, but out of curiosity if they would work within your stated budgetary constraints- what's your waist size?
    I wear 38 pants

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    For low profile but scalable plate carrier:

Beezcombatsystems.com

Blueforcegear.com has some killer prices on gear at times.

Two piece belt:
    https://esstac.com/shooters-belt-1-75/
    Use Velcro One wrap to attach any gear. Also sold by BCM on their site, I noted recently.

Alternative belt:
    https://awsin.com/50725-lab-shooters-belt-system/
    Can also use One wrap. This is probably the best value, though I like the Esstac.

Alternative MOLLE two piece belt:
    https://rdrgear.com/products/rdr-ins...enhanced-belts
    I have a couple of these. Basically just use Onewrap on them now, as well, and I think the Esstac is just better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I wear 38 pants
    The reason I asked is that Blue Force Gear currently has a "last call special" on their Beltminus V2 harness for $86, which is an insane deal. I have the V1 and it's one of my favorite kits. You can see it here: https://www.blueforcegear.com/beltminus-v2

The catch is that they've only got size large in multicam left. With a size 38 pant, you're probably good for a large since it goes around all of your clothes/layers. With that, you could make a very nice modern approximation of a classic ALICE belt. You can get together some old new stock pouches like BAE Systems ECLiPSE and be off to the races. This is my V1 Beltminus setup in a way that I'm talking about.

Of course, this might be heavier than you're looking to go. In the OP you mentioned just a lightweight belt that you can use with a plate carrier. Without running suspenders, you really do need to keep it light weight, which means minimal extra "stuff" outside of a few mags, holster, and small med kit.

The AWS LAB belt JediGuy mentioned is worth a look. I have a minimalist battle belt that's actually a 1.75" riggers belt run through an HSGI duty grip. It has a single HSGI taco (with one wrap), an Estac Kywi double mag pouch with their belt loops, holster, and IFAK. The nice thing about this set up with the HSGI duty grip is that I can use the weaving components to keep everything in place. I use this mainly for competitive shooting.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast