Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield Hellion Thoughts (with video)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    There is a powerful instinct among humans to center circles within circles. When shooting at speed, this can short circuit your ability to center the post in the peep if the post is not centered in its circular housing.

HK understands this dynamic and makes their front sight posts fixed inside their circular hoods. Lots of companies copy the circular hood but neglect the fixed post.
    That's why I hated the HK style sights, and used to scratch my head when goobers on ARFtard would put them on ARs back in the day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Springfield Hellion Thoughts (with video)

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's why I hated the HK style sights, and used to scratch my head when goobers on ARFtard would put them on ARs back in the day.
    Going to have to change my name to HKGoob then! I try to use HK style sights on the AR's where I install Irons. I just don't participate in gooberville, since like 2004ish........It is just more natural for me to aim with them.

Calling a mod to please change my screen name to HKGoob please................

ETA: Photographic evidence of a MK18 Goob’d upper.

Last edited by HKGuns; 04-04-22 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    LOL. To me, the AR15 sights were and still are the king of iron sighting systems. (obviously we run RDS and COGs, etc now) But I still have my VHS tape set of USMC rifle training. I was a card carrying A2 sight lover. So the alternative systems were appalling to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LOL. To me, the AR15 sights were and still are the king of iron sighting systems. (obviously we run RDS and COGs, etc now) But I still have my VHS tape set of USMC rifle training. I was a card carrying A2 sight lover. So the alternative systems were appalling to me.
    I think I have a copy on BetaMax somewhere. The Navy standardized on Beta you know........

Love, HKGoob

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Ahhhhh! Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    There is a powerful instinct among humans to center circles within circles. When shooting at speed, this can short circuit your ability to center the post in the peep if the post is not centered in its circular housing.

HK understands this dynamic and makes their front sight posts fixed inside their circular hoods. Lots of companies copy the circular hood but neglect the fixed post.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good breakdown. I pre-ordered one so I'll be getting my paws on one eventually.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

Picked up a Hellion. Shot it a bit and I have some initial thoughts....

Pros

1. Nicely Made. HKish quality.
    2. Accurate. Shoots sub 2moa with 55grain Cheapies.
    3. Interesting
    4. Reliable with garbage steel ammo.
    5. AMAZING IRON SIGHTS. Best in the business.
    6. Smooth shooter
    7. Fantastic charging handle design. Way better than just about anything else.

Cons

1. Expensive
    2. Horrible Trigger. Better than FS2000, worse than everything else including the AUG.
    3. N0 chrome lined barrel.

Neutral

1. Mag release. It's just different.
    2. Safety. While it is counterintuitive, it actually has the benefit of not riding your knuckle like most modern guns.
    3. Bolt release. Not quite as good as a Tavor, better than the AUG

What's wrong with the AUG bolt release? Other than not being Ambi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I’ve owned an AUG, X95, Fs2000 and one of the old Bushmaster m17s. Being left handed the FS2000 was the most left handed friendly but it was sort of a pig. I bought a VHSII, I hate the Springfield name also. So far I have about 500 rounds through it. I know that’s an insubstantial number but that shit is expensive these days. I ran Privi 55gr, PMC X-Tac, 55gr Fiocchi, Fed XM193 and M855 and finally some crappy Brown Bear steel case. It ran all of them with no issues other than the Brown Bear failed to lock open once on the last round.

The ability to convert to left side ejection without any additional cost was a major plus for me. It also lets me shoot right handed without eating brass. The trigger will never measure up to an SSA-E. That’s fine with me. It’s better than a stock AUG trigger IMHO and not to dissimilar from an X95. It actually feels like it is getting better with use.

I used GI mags, P-Mags gen2/3, & Lancer. They all worked. Even the 20 round P-mags I used to zero the optic ran just fine.

The selector isn’t hard to use for me. I can reach it with my thumb easy enough. It’s just different.

It is a little heavy compared to most AR rifles but again that’s ok with me. It is accurate enough. I was able to hit a 6” steel plate at 200 with an Eotech while standing about 90% of the time. That’s not really all that impressive I know but it’s good enough for me. If I want to shoot tiny groups I have bolt guns and a DD V7pro with magnified optics for that purpose.

It definitely doesn’t feel cheap or flimsy. The term Hk’ish is really accurate.

Shooting it off the bench was more comfortable for me than an AUG or X95. Standing, sitting or prone was no problem and comfortable.

Plus it just looks cool. Nothing wrong with owning a rifle or liking it because of its looks. I’m keeping this thing.
    24B3F796-6D3D-440C-A028-C613D81D4F55.jpeg
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 04-04-22 at 21:34.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    Yeah since my first real shooting was done in the Army I am partial to the peep rear and "wing" type front sight. I don't really care for the HK round front sight; I can make it work but the M14 and M16 (and M1 Carbine, M1 Garand) sight picture is what I prefer.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12