Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Hellion Thoughts (with video)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Springfield Hellion Thoughts (with video)

Hey guys,

Picked up a Hellion. Shot it a bit and I have some initial thoughts....

Pros

1. Nicely Made. HKish quality.
    2. Accurate. Shoots sub 2moa with 55grain Cheapies.
    3. Interesting
    4. Reliable with garbage steel ammo.
    5. AMAZING IRON SIGHTS. Best in the business.
    6. Smooth shooter
    7. Fantastic charging handle design. Way better than just about anything else.

Cons

1. Expensive
    2. Horrible Trigger. Better than FS2000, worse than everything else including the AUG.
    3. N0 chrome lined barrel.

Neutral

1. Mag release. It's just different.
    2. Safety. While it is counterintuitive, it actually has the benefit of not riding your knuckle like most modern guns.
    3. Bolt release. Not quite as good as a Tavor, better than the AUG

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    “Doo-dads”
    “Right Handed as God Intended”
    “Maybe I’m just an idiot”
    “Drama Free”

Ha!

Nice review but clearly you suck as it’s HK-ness may force me to buy one even though I absolutely HATE the name. First thing I thought of when I saw that charging handle was the G36 which I have always liked.

Feedback Score
    Is the barrel nitrided at least? I prefer chrome lining but will reluctantly settle for nitride. Not lined or treated? No way Jose (at least for a "combat" styled weapon).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is VERY HK like. It looks like its from a parallel universe where HK designed their own bullpup after they fixed the SA-80.

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    “Doo-dads”
    “Right Handed as God Intended”
    “Maybe I’m just an idiot”
    “Drama Free”

Ha!

Nice review but clearly you suck as it’s HK-ness may force me to buy one even though I absolutely HATE the name. First thing I thought of when I saw that charging handle was the G36 which I have always liked.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Is the barrel nitrided at least? I prefer chrome lining but will reluctantly settle for nitride. Not lined or treated? No way Jose (at least for a "combat" styled weapon).
    Yeah, it is apparently mellonited. And it appears that is what the Croations did too. I also wonder if that is part of why the gun is a nice shooter.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review. I really don't want one, but do find them interesting
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s interesting…

That being said, I recently traded my Tavor SAR. Like the bullpup’s OAL, but like the AR platform even more.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm still not convinced it's a great idea to have an adjustable post inside a full circle front sight/rear peep sight setup. There's a reason HK design their sights with a fixed front post.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    I'm still not convinced it's a great idea to have an adjustable post inside a full circle front sight/rear peep sight setup. There's a reason HK design their sights with a fixed front post.
    What’s your thinking on that? In practice the sights are wonderful.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    What’s your thinking on that? In practice the sights are wonderful.
    There is a powerful instinct among humans to center circles within circles. When shooting at speed, this can short circuit your ability to center the post in the peep if the post is not centered in its circular housing.

HK understands this dynamic and makes their front sight posts fixed inside their circular hoods. Lots of companies copy the circular hood but neglect the fixed post.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast