Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about neck sizing...

Feedback Score

Tell me about neck sizing...

... please.

I just read the article in the Blue Press about it, so I'm convinced, because

1) I drink blue Kool-Aide, and

2) Dillon doesn't sell neck-sizing dies, and their publication just endorsed their competitors, so I believe it.

TL;DR: I don't want to mess with bushings, but I do want to neck-size for my Savage FCP-SR. What neck-sizing die should I get?

Long version: I've been collecting equipment and components to reload .308 for years (decades, if you count the brass), and I'm finally about to do it. I've been loading handgun cartridges for decades, but that's a different game.

I have a full set of Dillon .308 dies, but I've decided that I'll ONLY be reloading for my Savage (not for my M14-type), and if/when I do want to reload for the M14, then I already made peace with the idea of having a separate set of dies and toolhead for that.

I already have Sinclair's mandrel die and .308 mandrel to set neck tension — my plan was to use no expanding ball or whatever when sizing.

Please advise...
    Last edited by Bimmer; 04-03-22 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    I'm not going to turn necks, if that matters. My goal is good precision ammo, but I don't want to go down the precision reloading rabbithole.

Right now the Savage shoots sub-moa with factory match ammo (FGMM, Lapua) if I do my part, and I'd be pleased as punch if my reloads would do the same.

As I understand it, if I can just size the necks and then run the mandrel die through them, then I'm all set...

Right now I'm looking at Lee's suspiciously cheap collet die ($20 retail), and RCBS's neck-sizer (MSRP $45). Lee's undersized (0.3035) mandrel is another $4 or $5.

I see rave reviews about Lee's die, and as I understand it, I wouldn't even need that Sinclair mandrel because the Lee die has a mandrel built in. (I'll save the Sinclair mandrel for when I reload for my M14.)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can neck size with regular dies by backing off the sizing die a bit so the die doesn't contact the shoulder of the case.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I owned a Savage 10 FCP chambered in .308 Winchester for several years. I used a Redding neck sizing die and Imperial dry neck lube with good results.

After several firings, it is not unusual for cases to expand to the point that you will need to full length resize them for them to chamber smoothly.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-04-22 at 07:16.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tell me about neck sizing...

Here you go, since you probably won't believe me, you might believe all of these top shooters. Full length sizing is the better option and all I do.......... Full length size and bump the shoulders back by 2 thousands.

This way your reloads will work in any rifle, which I see as a distinct advantage when you load them right.

Last edited by HKGuns; 04-04-22 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .........and another one with more than just one opinion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like the LEE collet neck sizing dies. Least runout of everything I've tried... like .001"-.002". I absolutely had bushing dies, although some guys figure out how to get results with them.

Since we're talking about .308 specifically... I use a body die. And after tumbling off the lube, I neck size and prime. I started out with the Dillon die set hoping to mimic my .223 process, but that didn't work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    You can neck size with regular dies by backing off the sizing die a bit so the die doesn't contact the shoulder of the case.
    I'll try that, since I already have Dillon's normal sizing die, as well as their "trimmer" die which is also a sizing die. (I have Dillon's trimmer, too.)

I'll see what happens when I stick of piece of brass in there, but won't a full-length die start sizing the body before it sizes the neck?

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Here you go, since you probably won't believe me, you might believe all of these top shooters. Full length sizing is the better option and all I do... Full length size and bump the shoulders back by 2 thousands.

This way your reloads will work in any rifle, which I see as a distinct advantage when you load them right.
    Again, I only have one .308 bolt gun, and I'm not loading for anybody else, and I can't see myself buying another .308 bolt gun anytime soon.

(Though a Bergara would be nice, I think I'll be satisfied with Magpul's new Hunter stock for the 110.)

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I like the LEE collet neck sizing dies.... And after tumbling off the lube...
    It's hard to find anybody who DOESN'T like Lee's collet neck-sizing dies.

Lube: I'm hoping to avoid it, which would be a huge advantage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Here you go, since you probably won't believe me...

I would believe you... What you're saying makes sense.

I watched the video. His points seem to be that

1. Neck-sizing isn't more accurate, and

2. Neck-sizing allows malfunctions due to cases growing.

I'm not expecting better accuracy (neither was the guy who wrote the Blue Press article), and it seems like I would notice pretty quickly if my cases are over-sized and not chambering/extracting easily.

On the other hand, I don't think that needing to lube (and de-lube) cases is going to make my life easier.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 04-04-22 at 19:58. Reason: Typo...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lately, I have been trying to develop 6.5 Creedmoor reloads that shoot as well as Hornady 140g Match. The reloads shoot sub MOA at 300 yards, but not nearly as well as the Hornady factory loads. Hornady shoots 7/8" groups and my neck sized brass reloads shoot sub 2-3/8" groups at 300 yards.

In another reloading thread, Eric Cortina's videos were suggested and I viewed them. Over the past couple of months both neck sizing and full length sizing produced the same accuracy at 300 yards, regardless of charge weight, projectile weight and C.O.L.

Neck sizing is faster for me. I check all sized cases with a LE Wilson cartridge gauge, both after resizing and after loading a finished cartridge, so functioning in my rifle is a non-issue.

I respect Eric Cortina's opinion, but I haven't seen a difference in accuracy between neck sizing and full length sizing brass. Shooting sub MOA groups at 300 yards using 173g and lighter projectiles was easy with my neck sized brass .308 Winchester reloads.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-04-22 at 19:58.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast