Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tell me about neck sizing...

Feedback Score
    For my AR reloading I use Small Base AR sizer die from RCBS. Also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die to apply a crimp.

Feedback Score
    I tried drawing a couple lines with a Sharpie on a once-fired case and sticking it in my Dillon sizing die, and the die starts working the body (at about 1/3 of the way down the body) long before it starts neck-sizing.

So, that means that simply backing off a FL die (at least, Dillon's) to neck size won't work.

Ordering a Lee collet die...

Feedback Score
    In my AR
    I use RCBS 5.56 AR sizing die and a Lee factory crimp die to apply the crimp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeam98 View Post
    For my AR reloading I use Small Base AR sizer die from RCBS. Also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die to apply a crimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeam98 View Post
    In my AR
    I use RCBS 5.56 AR sizing die and a Lee factory crimp die to apply the crimp

Thanks, but that's apples and oranges... I'm talking about .308 for a bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    After full length Resizing you have trim your brass unless you neck size only.
    A RCBS X Die will help from most trimming if needed.
    If the brass is only fired into your gun then neck sizing will be enough / it will be conform to your chamber
    Still check the length and trim as necessary.
    Last edited by RedTeam98; 04-14-22 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Been reloading 308 for years.

Have a pet load for a Tikka (42.3 gr IMR 4064) under a Nosler Ballistic Tip. 0.5 moa all day. Similar 0.5 performance from a Winchester/FN PBR.

Similar load for TRG-22 using SMK. A little better than .5 MOA.

My process would make a precision reloader shudder. Lube with Dillon case lube or maybe Hornady one shot. Run in my Dillon Dies/550, basically treating the 550 like a turret press. Size/prime, drop a charge just a bit under weight, pull the brass out, dump powder in scale (an old dillon Determinator), trickle to weight, funnel the powder back in, put case back in 550, seat bullet, wipe off with paper towel, done.

I bump the shoulder .002ish. Trim the brass after the first firing and then maybe a few firings later. Just make sure it fits in the case gauge and chambers when I'm done.

I do keep my brass segregated to the gun. I never anneal/check runout/measure tension/clean primer pockets/etc.

Easy peasy. People overthink this stuff.

Oh yeah I'm using brass from Fed GM factory ammo.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 05-13-22 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    Been reloading 308 for years...

My process would make a precision reloader shudder...

Oh yeah I'm using brass from Fed GM factory ammo.

This is VERY encouraging. I see some people go completely OCD about reloading, which is discouraging, and then I read a post like this and feel much better...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It's one of those diminishing returns things. If you want to win at benchrest think about all that stuff. If you want to shoot 1000 yd +like MarkM and PappaBear probably need to pay more attention than I do.

Pretty rare I shoot a 308 past 600.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    It's one of those diminishing returns things.
    I get that... I'm actually quite happy being a 1moa shooter.

It's not that I don't want to do better, it's just that I have other priorities, too (USPSA, Rimfire Challenge, trap... nevermind work, family, fishing, work, travel, work, etc.), and at some point good enough really is good enough.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345