Thread: DD Mk18, Dead Air brake & Sandman S

Feedback Score

DD Mk18, Dead Air brake & Sandman S

Can anyone confirm that the above combination will work without any clearance issues? It looks like installing the brake will be tight. Can you access the flats without issue? I've read the flash hider offers more room but I'd prefer the brake. Extra points for pics! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have no pics, but it works. The shoulder is like a 16th or an 8th ahead of the rail, so there is adequate clearance for the wrench flats as long as your wrench isn’t too fat. If it is too fat, you can remove the rail, mount the brake, then re-mount the rail.

The can will mount with no problem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I definitely don't want to mess with removing and reinstalling the RIS.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wirides View Post
    Thanks. I definitely don't want to mess with removing and reinstalling the RIS.

Its very easy if you have to, but it is unlikely that you must. Mildly tedious, but certainly not difficult. You’d have to have a crazy-thicc wrench to HAVE to remove the rail.

The best practice for mounting suppressor-mount muzzle devices is to clamp the barrel in a wooden or plastic vice block. Second best is MI URR or 2U Barreling Spud, which is what you would need to do if you don’t want to unmount the rail. AKA KAC URX4 method. Its cheapest to just pull the rail and use a homemade wooden block.

YHM makes a Picatinny vice block that is helpful for installing/reinstalling a DD RIS. Otherwise, an optic mount can be used to ensure alignment.

If you’re in the Carolinas, I can help you out with this for free over like 15 minutes, no problem, as I already have these tools due to annual barrel changes.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate that, however, too far.