Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Full Length Guide Rod

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Standard plug and guide rod are certainly easier for detail strip. I've never seen the exchange for the FLGR to adversely affect accuracy or function.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I have guns with both, but I prefer the standard GI length. The full length guide rods do tend to cycle smoother, but I have noticed nothing else.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Made it to the range yesterday and the Colt, unsurprisingly, ran just fine with a standard recoil spring guide/plug.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I'm an enthusiast of the 1911 platform and carried a 1911 for most of my LE career. I have a few in my safe including the brands of Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, and Colt. I don't care for the full length guide rod and would not recomment one because they do not permit easy disassembly and complicate the firearm.

Feedback Score
    My Loaded model has a FLGR. Works fine, but no better than my Mil Spec that lacks one. Probably going to switch to a GI guide rod. Simpler.

Feedback Score
    I don’t get how a FLGR is simpler. Everybody says that. My Wilson works just like a Glock. I can take the whole slide off if I want without disassembly. I can take the whole thing apart or put it together without tools. I don’t get how the plug, short rod, and spring is any easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I don’t get how a FLGR is simpler. Everybody says that. My Wilson works just like a Glock. I can take the whole slide off if I want without disassembly. I can take the whole thing apart or put it together without tools. I don’t get how the plug, short rod, and spring is any easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One piece full length guide rods (like my Commander had) are no more complex than the GI type but I wouldn't say they work like a Glock, they aren't captured.

I honestly don't get 2 piece rods that screw together and require a tool or recoil to seperate.

Andy

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=AndyLate;3034281
    I honestly don't get 2 piece rods that screw together and require a tool or recoil to seperate.
    Andy[/QUOTE]

This^ I have an Ed Brown and a SW PD both have full length guide rods. Press Recoil spring plug rotate barrel bushing disassemble etc.. Never needed any extra tools.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I have guns with both, but I prefer the standard GI length. The full length guide rods do tend to cycle smoother, but I have noticed nothing else.
    The FLGR does cycle smoothly however, I have found that the standard GI set up with Wilson flatwire spring also cycles very smoothly.

Feedback Score
    At best they add a couple of ounces under the barrel where it would do the most to reduce recoil, but I guess it's so little I can't tell the difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast