Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cheap usable night vision?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Any cheap usable night vision?

This is definitely a "poors" thread, so move on if you just want to hurl insults.
    I'm going to school full time and can't afford the good stuff.
    Is there anything that is usable on the lower end of the cost spectrum.
    To be honest this would likely be for personal security at night if things really go badly.
    If the answer is "it's all crap and you'll die before it helps", I can deal with that.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I think that the answer to your question is mostly "no." I am not a night vision expert, but I paid $3,100 for my pvs-14. I could have gotten something more affordable (and less effective) for say maybe $1,200-1,400ish, but I would not expect much from most devices costing less than this.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I think that the answer to your question is mostly "no." I am not a night vision expert, but I paid $3,100 for my pvs-14. I could have gotten something more affordable (and less effective) for say maybe $1,200-1,400ish, but I would not expect much from most devices costing less than this.
    I figured this is the answer I would receive.
    I have read it is cheaper to build a PVS14....Any truth to that? Do it in affordable chunks spread out a long period of time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Some places offer financing to help spread out the purchase. I am thinking of doing the same but want something that won't be obsolete in just a few years. Trying to future proof the purchase a little. Liking the looks of the white posphorus images.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Long story short, as someone in the same financial boat.... no.

If you have time to spend, you should check out some of Hop's videos - he's been doing a lot of research into el cheapo night vision stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Hoplopfheil/videos
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think the most viable cash conscious method is an older Gen 3 Omni 5-7 PVS14 with some blems that won't cause issue (no recoil damage, etc.). This absolutely gets you in the game.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I figured this is the answer I would receive.
    I have read it is cheaper to build a PVS14....Any truth to that? Do it in affordable chunks spread out a long period of time.
    If you found a used tube at a good price, you could probably save some money DIY. However it's a LOT more than the YT videos show it to be. If you just do it kinda half assed like some of those videos you will have some issues with functionality of the unit.

A new tube is about 90% of the cost of a unit, that's something to be aware of. I've had folks call up wanting to "buy a new tube" and thinking a new tube was about $300. Negative. For example you would probably pay around $2100-2300. for an SLH grade P45 (White phosphor) 11769 tube. Then the housing kit could easily run you $800. or more (new), so that's similar priced to buying a new one professionally assembled with a warranty, properly assembled with the correct tools, purged and checked on a Hoffman set.

So the only way realistically to save money here is to buy a low grade tube or buy a used unit and roll the dice. Now I won't try to scare the hell out of you regarding used as some do in an effort to sell you a new one, but realistically you do need to know a few things. It's a little different than buying a used car even, where you are probably used to checking certain things on your own car- oil, wear point on structure, leaks, etc. etc. But like buying a used car, buying used NV means you won't have a warranty. You may luck out like a recent poster here did, and just get a unit that needed to be properly cleaned and purged- that was a good thread BTW, it would be worth finding that if you consider buying used. Or you could end up with a tube that's dying or dead and you are left with a used housing worth at best a couple hundred.

As far as paying for it. Way back when I got my first 14 I sold an old set of PVS5s and a PVS4 and put that towards the 14. Later when I bought my 2nd 14 I just started putting $100. a month in a salsa jar and saved up. You don't really have to "have it now" despite what internet marketing tells you It's o.k. to save up for it and it will be all the sweeter when it happens. Good luck.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    This is not an endorsement but some are using the Sionyx Aurora and having ok results. There are some aftermarket mounts and stuff available as well

Just something to look into. You are most likely better off saving and getting the real deal

Feedback Score
    Back in the long, long ago, in the before before time.... pre-NV we used to get a lot done at night in the field without NV and God forbid you used white light...

Often times we look for something to "buy" instead of focusing on skill development. Before I spent a couple hundred on some Gen I unit that won't likely see much use, I would consider just spending some time in the woods at night with no NV and learn to use your God given NV (Mark I eyeballs) at night.

A big problem we see at our NV classes is people just getting a little freaked out at night. Most folks live in a suburban or urban environment. Their idea of going out at "night" involves- going into their well lit garage, turning on their Super Halogen Retina Burner 4000 headlights on their car, driving to a well lit parking lot and walking 50 yards to a well lit store. For most people, that's the extent of their familiarity with "night" conditions. So many get this false idea that they are used to night conditions.

Then they come to class. It's in the middle of the swamps, 30 miles from any town, 2 miles from the nearest streetlight in the middle of nowhere. It gets dark, then it's gets darker. There are sounds they aren't familiar with, terrain they aren't familiar with, they may or may not have a lot of experience with their NV so that may give them a little confidence or even take away (at first) a little confidence in them.

While we rarely take long breaks at class, we have often just stopped a group of students and took a few minutes to talk about this stuff and try to get certain folks to relax a bit. Sometimes we can see or feel certain folks getting a little amped up due to the dark. That's when you take a few minutes to breathe, calm your psyche down, etc. You can't learn well in that state.

Just going out into the woods and sitting in the dark for an hour or so, listening to the sounds, taking in the sights, etc. will help you build confidence. Learn to walk around and feel with your feet, wherein you are not constantly looking down.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Robert-

Great post!I used to be of the opinion that I could build my own PVS14 and save buku bucks... that was until I tried to find a tube. When I save up the cash I'm gonna come to you for a PVS14 with the right tube.

Also can you talk more about your night classes? I have extensive time working in the dark, but that was almost a decade ago. As a gear designer I constantly try and emerse myself in the environments and use the kit to get a better sense of how to design.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast