Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: BCM grip screwdriver size for installation screw.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have literally hit the range 12 times with an AR since this thread started. Its not rocket science - screw the grip on and go shooting.

Andy
    For a few thousand rounds.

Feedback Score
    I have literally hit the range 12 times with an AR since this thread started. Its not rocket science - screw the grip on and go shooting.

Andy
    I use any of the 3 on the left for grip screws, but I'm in the habit of using the blue handled CDI so I usually just go with it.

Edited for dyslexia, lol!
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 07-20-22 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I use any of the 3 on the left for grip screws, but I'm in the habit of using the blue handled CDI so I usually just go with it.

You have many nice tools Sir, I like your style.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    You have many nice tools Sir, I like your style.
    From one quality tool enthusiast to another, thank you and back at ya!

And it's not that I haven't installed grip screws without a torque screwdriver, I certainly have, but I like to get them to 35 inch pounds. There's been a few times that I thought I did a good enough job just by feel alone, but when I double checked with the torque screwdriver they were slightly below that magical number. Apparently my feel isn't perfect, and I bet most people's estimations are off... I use the torque screwdrivers on buttstock screws too.

I actually bought the Gedore torque screwdriver because it goes up past 40 inch pounds. That's the max range of the CDI and they don't make one that goes higher unfortunately.

The Snap-On torque wrenches are awesome too. The bigger (Ft-Lb) one has a scale from 5 to 75 foot pounds and the smaller (In-Lb) one goes from 40 to 200. And I prefer the fixed heads instead of the ratcheting heads for use with all the extended AR wrench adaptors. It just keeps things in line so I don't have the tool spinning around constantly (minor annoyance, but it bugs me). I'd probably get ratcheting heads if I wanted to work on cars, but for ARs I just prefer fixed.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 07-20-22 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post

A bit of a post script - I respect owning quality and correct tools. For a gun owner, buying good tools actually made for firearms is money well spent (screwdrivers/bits particularly). It just seemed the OP was stuck in a loop.

Andy

Feedback Score
    A bit of a post script - I respect owning quality and correct tools. For a gun owner, buying good tools actually made for firearms is money well spent (screwdrivers/bits particularly). It just seemed the OP was stuck in a loop.

Andy
    I agree about the OP, he just needs a decent quality screwdriver bit set and it shouldn't be a problem finding a bit to fit most screws. Though you can certainly get carried away with things like this depending on your level of OCD, I know I sure have.

Originally I was only OCD with ARs, but through working on them and putting them together I became just as OCD about the assembly tools.

I know that there are a lot of people that are happy to put an AR together using only a spoon, a couple of toothpicks and a butt vise at their kitchen table, but I just can't fathom that approach.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112