Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM grip screwdriver size for installation screw.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Or.........
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Spend $3 on a screw with a hex head. I grew tired of chasing slotted screws in grips quite a long time ago.

GRIP Screws I have in Stock
    I've got numerous slotted grip screws in a bag, but none in my ARs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    their screw is the milspec one. Same as colt, ect.. Schmid provides them with their LPK parts or you can get them from mcmaster-carr.
    Your 100% correct. I scoured the internet and the original milspec is a slotted screw for the pistol grip. I have plenty of tools however I don’t have flathead 5/16” six inch screwdriver, so I didn’t want to use a smaller, loser screwdriver and potentially mar or damage the screw since the build isn’t exactly bottom dollar.
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”- Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Lol wut? Take it to a gunsmith? We're talking about installing a pistol grip.
    Yeah, I really gotta be missing something, cause I have never had an issue changing grips at all.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BCM grip screwdriver size for installation screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    Yeah, I really gotta be missing something, cause I have never had an issue changing grips at all.
    Neither have I, and I do it with whatever screwdriver looks close enough to get the job done. I’ve never once thought about what the correct size was. And as far as hex heads go, it’s a lot easier to round one of those out than it would be to jack up the slotted grip screw to the point where you couldn’t still get it out. I’m guessing that’s why the milspec ones are slotted.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 04-08-22 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer slotted screws for the readily available drivers.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I know nothing about the TDP for this, but I have a #41584 1/4” Craftsman that fits both Colts and BCMs.

Before we judge the OP, let us remember that sometimes things are not quite as obvious as they seem with screwdrivers. For example, many people malign the shitty soft Phillips screws on Japanese motorcycle carb bowls, when the real problem is that the screws are JIS, not Phillips and many among us are too ignorant/stupid to use the correct tool. And I’ve found myself occasionally grinding flatheads to be better fits on slotted screws. Hell, you’ll note that gunsmithing screwdrivers have a totally different shape to the blade than Stanleys and Craftsmans.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A sliver of duct tape or even some folded paper would solve your problems fairly easily. Most do have that lying about or use a BFSD-one with a flat blade of course
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I prefer slotted screws for the readily available drivers.
    Which was my rationalization as to why Colt used (and uses) a slotted screw from the very beginning.

Much more difficult to install in an automated line, so they had to use it for a reason.

As much easier as hex is to install / remove, I've used the slots if that's what it came with. Really no big deal.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Those hex grip screws affect accuracy, don't use them if you expect to get 1 MOA. I can't believe 3 pages on grip screw.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A bit driver with a magnet and a good bit set isn't that much.
    Good sets will have hollow ground bits.

I picked up a nice set from the Mac guy that has bits for fasteners I haven't seen.
    No Torx Plus though, which sucks as I'm seeing stuff with TP fasteners and had to get a TP20 and TP25.
    Those will screw up your day if you don't pay attention.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast