Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with barrel selection, 18 inch 5.56

Feedback Score

Need help with barrel selection, 18 inch 5.56

So I'm looking to build a general purpose rifle. I already have a short gun and a heavy barrel rifle so I want something in between.

I was thinking a pencil barrel 18 inch rifle with a LPVO. I was looking at both true pencil barrels and Faxon's Gunner profile but the general feedback was both are very heat sensitive.

I've expanded my research into Ballistic Advantage Hansen Profile, Roscoe medium profile, or Faxon Gov't profile barrels. I'm trying to stay under 30 ounces and $300. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    I think that a BA Hanson 16" would fit the bill well for you... All the ones I have shot were very accurate. Weight distribution was good... Not sure I understand why you want to go to 18" for GP rifle but.. I personally would stick with 16".
    Triarc is another barrel with Great profile and superb accuracy, along with Criterion ( if you can find one)

Asking what barrel is best is like asking what flavor Ice Cream someone likes. I am not a fan of Faxon based on several experiences with their barrel

Im just giving my $.02 based on my experiences... YMMV

*** Just saw an 18" Criterion in EE Section for a good price....Just saying... I have no dog in this hunt... but it is a nice bbl****
    Last edited by WornOutGrunt; 04-11-22 at 05:39. Reason: add text

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My personal experience with Hanson Profile BA Barrels has been favorable. My two 16" are around 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" at 100 yds, 5 shot benched groups with 1-6X LPVOs using BH mk 262.
    These may have grouped better using more glass.

I have a Criterion 16" that is 1" to just under at 100 yds. with similar optic and same ammo.

No experience with Faxon or Roscoe.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Check out the Criterion Core series 18" inch barrel.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-12-22 at 07:44.

Feedback Score
    34 ounces, but something to consider.

Odin Works .223 Wylde AR-15 Barrel 1:8 Rifle Length 3-Gun - 18"
    https://www.primaryarms.com/odin-wor...223-18-3g-r-tg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why would you look at Government profile but not pencil? Government is just pencil in the rear, heavy in the front.

I recall seeing some decent prices on FN hammer forged 18” barrels, those are some of the most consistently accurate chrome lined barrels around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Why would you look at Government profile but not pencil? Government is just pencil in the rear, heavy in the front.

I recall seeing some decent prices on FN hammer forged 18” barrels, those are some of the most consistently accurate chrome lined barrels around.
    Primary Arms has a number of FN barrels available at pretty good prices.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been looking for an 18 or 20" pencil barrel. My problem is finding one with a pencil / LW profile.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Need help with barrel selection, 18 inch 5.56

I used to think FN was a guaranteed good choice for precision, till I got one that’s mediocre at best. My first one, part of a PSA Premium upper assembly, is better but not what I would consider good.

Among your listed choices, I’d vote for Roscoe.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    IMHO, for the money ($280. *free shipping and no sales tax*), the Criterion Core series 18" inch, chrome lined, rifle gas, 1-8 twist, *30.4* ounces, Wylde chamber, matte black barrel is hard to beat. For an accurate and *hard* use rifle, the pre lapped chrome lined barrel will have a longer barrel life than comparable stainless steel barrels.
    The inherent accuracy of the Core series barrels with good match ammo is usually 3/4”-1 MOA .

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-barrel-*Pics*
    Last edited by Biggy; 05-04-22 at 18:34.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast